C. Joculator-any experiences?

Zionas

My LFS can order these fish, but they cost a fortune. They're absolutely beautiful and a contender for the Flame Angel when it comes to looks, and they're not collected in areas where cyanide is used (though still far from China). I made a post on dwarf angels previously, but I came across this one today and I've got to say I am tempted. If there's anyone who has experience with them, please let me know how well they do. Are they hardier than the Flame and Coral Beauty, Pygmies and Half Black Angels?

If I get one of these, I'll have to think hard about it. A dwarf angel will surely be my last fish added, I want to give my aquarium at least 5 months before I add one. I love C. joculator, but if it dies then I'll be taking a significant financial loss. Therefore, it needs to be a hardy species.

My tank's 48"x24"x22" (105 gallons) and here's my stocking plan so far:

x2 Ocellaris or Black and White Ocellaris (captive bred)

x1 Comet (Indonesia)

x1 Royal Gramma (Caribbean)

x1 Flame (Indonesia / PH most likely) / Coral (from wholesaler in SEA) / Falco (Indonesia / PH most likely)

Is Joculator a good choice for a first angel?

In terms of their behavior, biology and temperament are they more closely related to the pygmy angels or the mid-sized Centropyge?

Any Centropyge I buy will by far be the most cautious and nervous purchase for my tank. I'm especially concerned about their sensitivity and fragility compared to the other species I've listed.

I have a Joculator Angel. I will say it does pick near and sometimes at coral. Not sure if it's just because there is algae on it or not. But be prepared for some nipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've quarantined a few - but limited experience with them in a DT environment. They seem fairly benevolent, and if anything were usually the victims of QT bullying. That being said, I would just buy a Bicolor (much cheaper) if you like that color pattern.

Back