Ca/Alk - Continuous or Test Then Dose?

SofaSnorkeling

I see two options for ca/alk

Buy something like a trident which doses based on testing
OR
Just set doser to dose a continuous amount of ca/alk, always the same amount continuously.

I love simplicity and testing can produce false readings occasionally so I really like the second super simple continuous option. I guess my real question is:

How often/common are alk swings when just dosing continuously? If they are uncommon I do not see why something like a trident would be worth it. With a stable continuous dose am I really going to crash my tank? Of course with cont dosing I will also test and can make changes, just those changes wont be automatic. I feel I have more control here and can verify critical levels with a second test before changing ca/alk dosing. Thanks everyone!

I would get a CArx, test alk continuously and adjust the carx based on the alk value. I feel trident is waste of money given how infrequent you need to test ca and even worst for mag.
Alk is worth testing daily. So money spent on CArx is better and more future proof.
Same applies if you want do ise doser snd 2 part dosing. Alk and ca will be dosed in equal parts. Hence testing alk is valuable.

I use CArx with kh guardian for 2 years. 2 years before that I used doser and kh guardian also. Since alk and ca should be dosed in a balanced way with equal parts most if the time, testing alk is more than enough.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I personally like to test alk a lot and calcium fairly infrequently. I dose automatically every hour and manually measure alk 2 or 3 times per week and calcium once every 2 weeks or so.

I track all of my parameters on reefstable.com to watch the usage and adjust my dosing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dosing requirements stay quite stable/consistent...Infrequent testing is all thats needed once a dosing amount is set..

I dose Aquaforest 3 part 24x7 and just test Ca, Alk and Mg every couple of weeks. If I am introducing new corals I may test Alk a little more frequently to check and see if the overall consumption has gone up. If things are stable and nothing is changing I may only test once a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back