Calcium reactor is kalkwasser necessary?

Duzzy73

Hi there,

I’m planning on running an oversized calcium reactor (DELTEC CR Twin-Tech Calcium Reactor 10000) is kalkwasser still necessary? As in does kalkwasser do anything that a calcium reactor? I know it can affect ph but I was thinking that running skimmer through co2 scrubber and the calcium reactor output into the refugium should 🤞 keep ph fairly stable in conjunction with the deleted controller.

regards Duzzy

Since a Ca reactor lowers pH in the reactor to dissolve the media, it has potential to lower tank pH. Many people use a second chamber of media to help alleviate this.

I would say it all depends on the individual situation. I believe you’ve already decided on a CO2 scrubber, so start with that and your Ca reactor. If you’re having trouble maintaining pH, then dripping Kalk will help to raise pH.

FWIW, my pH was bouncing between 7.8 and 8.0 without a reactor or kalk. I’ve since started dripping kalk 24/7 and my pH is now at 8.0 - 8.2. I do not use a CO2 scrubber or (currently) outside air to feed my skimmer.

Kalk plus outside air.
8.2 - 8.4

HYDGRA.jpg

Why would you run such a large reactor. Do you have a giant tank?
Twin-Tech 10000 – for aquariums up to 10,000 liters (2642 gallons)

A Ca reactor adds both Calcium and Alkalinity. Some trace elements too if you use coral skeletons in it.
It dissolves the skeletons with acidic water and adds them to the tank. What goes in the tank is a perfect balance of Ca and Alk.

Since a Ca reactor lowers pH in the reactor to dissolve the media, it has potential to lower tank pH. Many people use a second chamber of media to help alleviate this.

I would say it all depends on the individual situation. I believe you’ve already decided on a CO2 scrubber, so start with that and your Ca reactor. If you’re having trouble maintaining pH, then dripping Kalk will help to raise pH.

FWIW, my pH was bouncing between 7.8 and 8.0 without a reactor or kalk. I’ve since started dripping kalk 24/7 and my pH is now at 8.0 - 8.2. I do not use a CO2 scrubber or (currently) outside air to feed my skimmer.
I had 2 thoughts the co2 scrubber in a closed loop with skimmer would be fed on effluent of calcium reactor which should stabilize the ph

or feeding calcium reactor into either the refugium or algae scrubber to use the co2 and stabilize ph but that only works during the day

Why would you run such a large reactor. Do you have a giant tank?
Twin-Tech 10000 – for aquariums up to 10,000 liters (2642 gallons)

A Ca reactor adds both Calcium and Alkalinity. Some trace elements too if you use coral skeletons in it.
It dissolves the skeletons with acidic water and adds them to the tank. What goes in the tank is a perfect balance of Ca and Alk.
Nearly 800 gallon

The next one down is for 800 gallons. I don't know enough about using one to know if oversizing it that much will causer problems.
My system is 700 and is getting by on a 20 gallon kalk stirrer I made.

The next one down is for 800 gallons. I don't know enough about using one to know if oversizing it that much will causer problems.
My system is 700 and is getting by on a 20 gallon kalk stirrer I made.
I’ve gone bigger because there was nothing in between And going undersized means I may need to supplement. I’m still looking nut it’s an impressive design

Oversized calcium reactor just means it'll go longer between maintenance.
I tried to make an aquamaxx reactor work for me, but even set extremely conservative, it destroyed my elevated pH (8.3-8.7 most days) and was dipping below 8.0 before lights on. I gave up on it. I was just wanting to add about 1dkh/day on top of the kalk, so it shouldn't have been that bad. Idk. I'm just going to continue kalkwasser and dose lye overnight instead. Too many people breathing in the house I suppose.
The difference in growth at much higher pH is phenomenal as well as the reduction in things like cyano and alage growth. Turf scrubber still produces well, but less grows in the tank.
With the calcium reactor suppressing pH, alk demand plummeted. I don't see why people are scared of kalkwasser.
Don't put it in an ATO bin, nor use a cheap doser. Also be sure the line cannot create a siphon, no back siphon. Solves many of the problems of the past. Of course, a master flex pump is likely better, but the kamoer is solid. I have 3 of them. 2 v1 and 1 that is wifi. Tubing lasts about 6 months or more if tension is set right and slower flow rate. Replacing the rollers as much as they recommend is unnecessary.
Buy a continuous duty doser like the kamoer fx-stp and drip saturated kalk 24/7 at a set rate. Adjust ml/min. As needed for seasonal changes. Your ATO is now basically obsolete. If something leaks, or tank loses water, you won't have an ATO dumping in rodi. Just that steady slow kalk drip.
You can use a kalk reactor if a 60 gal. Drum isn't going to work, but on such a large tank, I'd imagine its not as much a concern. The doser can easily push 20ft+ if needed.
You can use a versa doser, but many more complaints on those.

Back