California de-barbing wild rays!?

The project is funded by CSULB right? So it's coming out of the college's pocket, not directly from the state. Sure it's a state school, but the students don't attend for free. In essence, the college would spend the same money on something else, were it not for the stingray project.

:headwally:

And people wonder why we are 14 trillion in debt.

Wonder how many people went to

http://www.csulb.edu/web/labs/sharklab/research/drlowe/stingray.shtml

and read about what they are doing before posting :spin2:

It is a rather interesting study idea.. But while tracking thier movements is kind of neat I tend to agree with the general concensous of it being a waste of time and money. Though I did get a chuckle out of the Rays and people hanging out in that water because its being warmed by the nuclear powerplant

So after looking them over this is the forum I felt best suited for this post... if not please relocate it?

I just was looking at the LA Times picture gallery and came across this from last week:

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/05/24/stingrays/

it seems a group of surfers and university biologists are catching rays at Seal Beach and cutting off their barbs. Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I think not...

As I'm not a property owner of resident of California my opposition to this is academic at best, but I would implore any residents of that state to contact their local representatives in the state congress or municipality if you're near Seal Beach and ask what's going on with this....

What's next, de-clawing bears and filing down sharks teeth?

Despicable.

-Doug

how many times have you been surfing at seal beach??

I have been surfing there for years, and the amount of people getting hurt is unbelievable!

now do I like the fact they are cutting off the barbs not really, but people from the city (not very far away) come over and jump in the water not knowing anything about a sting ray, and when you have 600+ people on a beach, with 4 life guards, the last thing you need to worry about are people getting hit by a sting ray. I have grown up surfing there and never been hit by a sting ray, but then again I know how NOT to get hit by a sting ray!

its a lot better the remove the spine, then remove the animal all together IMO....

its the same thing as clipping a cat/dogs nails, they grow back ;)

Are they clipping the barbs or are they removing the basal cell tissue (not scientific term) that grows the barb? Is it possible to de-barb a stingray entirely?

Wonder how many people went to

http://www.csulb.edu/web/labs/sharklab/research/drlowe/stingray.shtml

and read about what they are doing before posting :spin2:

It is a rather interesting study idea.. But while tracking thier movements is kind of neat I tend to agree with the general concensous of it being a waste of time and money. Though I did get a chuckle out of the Rays and people hanging out in that water because its being warmed by the nuclear powerplant

The warm water is from cooling of equipment that has no contact w/ nuclear or radioactive material whatsoever, perfectly safe, many of us have been surfing/swimming there for years.
As for waste of $$, I'm not sure which is worse, the $$ funded for this project, or what is paid to lifegaurds to treat all the sting victims, and the hospital visits.
As mentioned earlier, the amount of stings are overwhelming, and some are pretty nasty, requiring stitches or worse.
And yeah, it's their environment, I understand that, but they aren't harming the animals from my understanding, and the barbs do grow back.
I think the only main predator of them may not care if there is a barb or not(sharks) and most other animals know to stay away from them(except us)

Nothing California does surprises me. This is light-years shy of the TRULY depraved things I've heard coming out of that place.

I think it should remain an enter the water at your own risk deal. Next there will be a state funded project to remove the teeth from sharks for fear of being bitten!

I have to laugh when I see someone bag on California people, because most of the people that are clueless to topics like this are not from here.:wildone:

I think it should remain an enter the water at your own risk deal. Next there will be a state funded project to remove the teeth from sharks for fear of being bitten!

This ;)

Locally I'm getting laugh at a recent OMG there's sharks swimming off the beach in the newspaper. After all, this is an island that hosts a couple of shark fishing and tagging tournaments every year, and has even broken world records for catching large Great Whites out of Montauk. What's the surprise?

I agree, and really I subscribe to the enter the WORLD at your own risk.
I grew up diving and surfing/swimming here, and was taught awareness at a young age and potential hazards.
Unfortunately many tourists or transplants seem to think everything has been cleared for safety and make big stinks over little issues like this.
Is it a waste of time and money doing this, my opinion is absolutely yes it is.
But tourism is a big part of our economy, occasionally they have to put on a show of some kind that they are making things safe, or attempting to, and at least what they are doing is not a permanent or harmful thing done to the rays, and there is certainly no shortage of them.

Pesky tourists need to learn the real world requires some thought and personal responsibility. Biggest thing I see from catering to tourists and such with issues like this, is that what ultimately happens is those of us that know and accept the risks find ourselves getting restricted. Things like, no swimming when no lifeguard on duty...oh, basking sharks swimming off the beach so the beach is closed till the sharks move on :rolleyes:

Personally, I think they should stop removing an animal's natural defense mechanism. They should just post signs on the beach warning tourists about the sting rays, they same way they do when jellyfish are in larger numbers. And they should post a sign telling people to shuffle their feet not step to avoid potential sting ray barbs...an easy way to avoid getting stung is to not step on them in the first place.

^^ Well if you didn't read the link it also ties in w/ tagging and research, possibly part of the reason for removing barb temporarily.
I'm going to guess that pic of the guys hand was a research student, because almost always it's the foot that gets hit, unless you're foolish enough to try to grab one!LOL

Welcome to our country, were anything that harms us, hurts us, makes us fat, burns us, causes cancer, or death is someone else's fault.

I don't surf, but I don't have any sympathy regarding the surfers or researchers, you are doing something inherintely dangerous in every possible way. Shall we start clipping wings off of birds for sky divers? Maybe kill all deer so that cars wont hit them, or heck....why not just douse out the sun because might cause cancer....

I know, sarcastic.... People are getting hurt because they are taking a risk and loosing.

Let's put into perspective, over 30K people died, over 2.5 million were injured in car accidents this last year but no one is cutting the tires off of our cars.

Steps off soap box... =P

Im a resident in Seal Beach and I also go to CSULB. Personally I like the study, over the past years I've been stung by rays about 5 times surfing and if the city want to find ways to reduce the number injuries and do a little study on the stingrays habitat I say let them. Its not a waste of money its education in marine biology.

Back