California Reef Keeping (You lucky dogs)

RevHtree

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that most reef keepers from Cali get all the cool coral?

Now I know that people from everywhere have cool stuff, but you guys and gals in Cali really get to cherry pick if you want too. Is this statement correct?

I have noticed some of the most awesome stuff are in the hands of you Californians! You Lucky Dogs!!

I am thinking of relocating.......:mixed:

I get FREE natural sea water too, and No I'm not collecting it from the shoreline.
it is pumped from a mile or so off shore sent through 5 filters then directed to a spicket where you can go and fill up for FREE.
a little low in alk but hey,
I think I have the same corals as every one else.

Most of this stuff comes from the Pacific/Indian Oceans, and LA, CA is the usual port of entry. So, in a way, they have first pick.

Because most (if not all) livestock travels through LAX you'll find many of the LFS will buy corals direct from the importer "by the box". So the LFS will have a decent chance of getting some decent corals instead of depending on someone to pick from what's left at the wholesaler. Stores on the east coast can do the same but it will cost more for the re-ox and more air shipping and I think they experience more DOA's as well.
One of the drawbacks of this is you don't always get what you order. If they are out of something you picked from the list you get whatever they decide to fill with... often flower pots of brown zoas.

SteveU

Back