Can 2 golden dwarf eels pair up, or at least, get along in a tank?

delphinus

I currently have a golden dwarf eel, Gymnothorax melatremus, in a 115g cube tank. I have an opportunity to pick up a second one from another hobbyist who's considering selling his.

Is there any hope of making a pairing if they happen to be male and female?

And assuming not, what are the odds of territorial aggression between the two?

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

I have had a pair for quite some time now. I bought them paired, so I cant comment on how *easy* it is, but it is certainly possible.

Is it normal for them to squabble a bit at first? The newcomer came "home" today, and the established one is not liking it too much. Definitely some chasing and fighting happening. The new guy has a nasty gash from a bite mark in his tail :( and has already been chased into the overflow once (he found his own way out, impressively enough).

How long do I give it before I think about rescuing the one? I know with other fish it's usually a few days for them to settle down and agree on a pecking order but the potential injuries here worry me more than for other fish. I've never had more than one eel before.

I threw in a 12" piece of 3/4" pvc to act as a surrogate refuge/burrow for the time being, although it hadn't been discovered (or accepted) last time I looked.

Bump, really need to hear opinions here. I've been told privately that if not an established pair that one will kill the other. Is that correct?

I know people who have just put two or more together and they've been fine... Hearing this is actually really surprising. The bite is concerning because even when I had eels that didn't get along, there was only a lot of posturing and open mouth gapes. Makes me worry this will only end up with more bites, and the aggression is pretty serious. If it was me, I'd separate them and get the new guy back to health and healed in a different tank. Then try to reintroduce them by putting the new one in a kritter keeper in view of the other eel for a week. Hopefully the second introduction would go better.

I've asked around a couple different sources and the last thing I've heard now is that they still ought to be OK together but may bite. I don't know, if that's a possibility down the road then I'm not too sure I'm comfortable with the idea of keeping both. The behaviour has changed so definitely the presence of each other is definitely unsettling to them. It's only been a day so maybe it's awfully hasty to pull the panic lever but ... at the same time I don't like to see them unsettled. I think if nothing else I will setup a FOWLR/eel tank as a refugium.

The newcomer did find the pipe I put in for him and spent most of the day in it, however as of this evening he's back in the overflow. I might actually leave him there for now, worst that will happen is he ends up in the sump, which is easier for me to catch him anyhow. He's pretty well settled behind the standpipe. If that keeps him safer from the aggressor then he's better off in there for the time being.. :worried:

I don't have any experiance myself but I have a friend that attempted to add a second to a 120g and I am sorry to say that it killed it. Hopefully you will have better luck. Keep us posted.

It would be easy for one to escape a compartment in your sump and wind up in a pump.
I would feed both and try with the lights out for a day or 2. Let them get used to each other in the calm

Back