Can a sps tank handle temps of 100 degrees??

Man, really sorry for your losses! I was out of town once and my mom did the same thing... accidently unplugged my pumps and heater and lights... came home and the tank was at like 55deg... fortunatly no losses though. Now, I am really careful who watches the tank, and I pay them.... so I can go ape on them if they mess up! GL.

Oh gah!
I hate to see these accidents happen, it makes people never want to start back!

Will you concider getting back into the hobby, or was this the end for you?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10286923#post10286923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shawnts106

Will you concider getting back into the hobby, or was this the end for you?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10284860#post10284860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy

I think im going to find a temporary home for the few remaining specimens and make a couple changes to each system that bug me. Nothing major as I spent a lot of time designing both, but a few tweaks here and there that cant be done when running.

Then will get up and do it again of course.

I dont think stopping is even one of the available options

When you get everything going again, go out and buy one of these:
A2_rgb.jpg

aquaticeco.com

It will call you when things go wrong, will work with multiple tanks, is easy to use and reliable. I trust it on my system
(click on the red house to see).
sorry for your loss :(

Steve G

Last edited:
ouch.. sorry to hear what happened. I've been through this in my old tank when a Rio pump wiped it out. Sheesh man that is terrible :(

I am curious to know what chiller(s) do you have?

Sorry for your loss!
I recently bought an aquatronica package to avoid this issue.
I had a temp spike and my favorite colony of all time took a dump not yet recovered and most likely lost.
A/c working chiller got a plastic bag stuck on intake.

I'm most likely hooking up a second chiller inline and after installing the controller to shut my lights at 83 I'm a lil less nervous about one of this episodes
Anyways sorry for your loss- if I can help in anyway let me know.

I feel for you,I also had a similar problem,chiller broke, my tank got to about 105 degrees and boilded everything I had.It was running for about 8 month,I filled the garage floor half way, my favorite was my big clam and my efflo's.I tell you, if you get back to the spins of things, I'll be more than happy to DONATE some frags for you. Here are some picks (alive) then dead.

DVC01786.jpg

DVC01785.jpg

DVC01773.jpg

DVC01772.jpg

DVC01775.jpg

DVC01777.jpg

DVC01787.jpg

Dooooooooood, that sucks.

So, honestly... How long do you just stare at the tank before you start crying when something like that happens?

I can see my self weaping.

From all the trips to pet shops, that kept me from crying everyday.I had two heat strokes that summer from working my *** off for extra money to buy more ,but it was worth it for the corals.

Thanks a ton for your sympathies everyone, and whether or not I ever take anyone up on shipping me free frags if I cover shipping it really does mean a lot. Especially when it is coming from people whom Ive never even crossed paths with that I know of on the boards. One thing i will do differently in the future is to make absolutely positive that every coral I am particularly fond of will be alive elsewhere waiting for me in the event of something like this.

Ive been pretty generous with people with whom I have traded and sold corals to in the past and will be able to salvage some pieces that came from my tank in the first place and that will be a nice place to start.

My 90 is ready to go already. It was a BB tank with sps only so I pretty much just did a 20% water change, pulled the dead fish and snails out, skimmed the heck out of it and its good to go after i do a couple tweaks to the plumbing.

The 225 is starting to do that new tank syndrome thing but i dont expect it to last more than a couple of weeks max.

Here are a few more pics. This morning I finally took the remaining skeletons out of both tanks and took one last pic of the total carnage to remember it and keep me humble in the future. This was my first signifigant loss since Ive began. My only regret is the LE and rarer coral acquisition rampage ive went on in the last few months. Im wishing i would have waited until now to do so. LOL

First pic- 225 pre boil. Second pic-225 this morning.

3rd pic- self explanatory

oh....and on the bright side........my monti eating nudis will be much easier to get rid of now.

full.jpg

deathrebuild.jpg

deathall.jpg

I dont think stopping is even one of the available options

Thats a good atitude to have! Glad to hear that your not easily stopped!

Keep us up on the progress of your rebuilding project!

Lazarro........that sucks too.

I consolidated a few smaller tanks into the 225 qand the 90 that i built last year.

The 225 is(was) 11 months and 1 week old, the 90 was 8 months old. LOL....i only throw the week in there becasue i was looking forward to making a post about the tanks first year of progress. I guess it will be waiting another year.

I guess the fun part will be buying new frags again and watching them grow. It will be a tank reborn in that sense.

Sorry for your loss though. :(

WOW! That sucks....No vacations for me now!.You scared the ga geeberz out of all of us. A big reminder of how fragile these systems can be, and how special they are to all of us. Sorry bout your Huge loss.

Back