Can one use empty cat litter jugs for transporting water?

CoralKitty

i plan to get some filtered and/or premixed water from the coral reef shop.
i have a pile of empty plastic jugs that clumping cat litter comes in and they all have screw on lids and a nice handle (i save them as they make good box fillers for when i ship costume commissions)

they should be fine right? as long as i rinse them out first? or do you suppose anything in the litter may have leeched into the plastic? (the stuff is scented after all)

i ask because i have been told one should not use empty milk jugs even if they have been rinsed.

Some of the containers I have still have a strong perfume smell even after washing them out. I'd worry about that leaching. Is the litter you use perfumed?

I'm with Rob. Is it really worth the risk? Just ask around to borrow some jugs or buckets if you don't have any.

I have been using the 5 gallon screwtop jugs for years....they are a good investment. Buy them at a water store.

I believe the former MARS VP, Bruce, owns this place....great guy!!

http://www.folsomh2o.com/

go to walmart they sell large 7gallon drinking grade conteainer they are square shapped and stackable I think there about $9/each and they are bright blue they are in the camping section i wouldn't use the cat litter container I use mine for old motor oil from my motorcycles before i bring it into work for recycling..

Back