Can somebody learn me about Gyre style wave pump?

hhaase

Not quite at the point yet of filling my 150, but I'm getting close. I see a lot of gyre pumps, and similar pieces. Trying to figure out if they may be what I need for my tank. When I last had a reef tank, the MP40's were the hot ticket, but I had some lower end stuff in my own tank. Either way, the last time I was serious was when a reef tank was either a closed-loop or powerhead central. Looks like things have improved.

I think I get the concept of a gyre pump, where it moves a larger mass of water across a wide front, rather than a narrower jet. Are these things really enough to handle a decent sized tank with just one or two units? How would you size these style pumps? My tank is 2ft x 2ft x 5ft if that helps.

I'm also particularly looking for NON-MaxSpect options, such as the RedSea. So if anybody has experience with those other options I'd love to hear some feedback.

The major drawback with these is the cleaning. Parts can be small & get misplaced+ they have to go back right. There is a new model with color coded sides so you don't mix them up. Some just run them in a citric acid solution every so often. They do move water though.

Makes sense, and I am looking for less maintenance. I'm actually kinda still leaning toward maybe one or two larger traditional powerheads. I really do like the cord-less look of the MP-40's.

Personally I'm not on board with the Ecotech powerheads. I've read too many complaints with them.
I know cord can be unsightly but the Tunze powerheads I bought used years ago have not missed a beat.

Back