Can u have too many RBTA's?

tatkins99

My large RBTA grew like wildfire and now I have 4! However, my Duncan and Frogspawn are declining. I wonder if having too many RBTA's is a bad thing? 2 of them are VERY close to both the Duncan and the Frogspawn. But they move around...

Placement:
Duncan and Frogspawn are fairly close (mid tank level)

My parameters are all OK.

Temp 78-80
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.2 - 8.3
Phosphates (not zero but close)
Nitrates/Nitrites = 0

I have 2 clowns that have bonded with the largest RBTA (10"?). The clown lays eggs like clockwork!!! I'm working on getting a Rotifer set up. I found a REALLY good post that seems like I could put it together.

Anyway... Should I sell/give some of my RBTA's? I do not know how to remove them without injury.

Tank:
I have a 150G + 20G sump + 30G Refugium (Just DSB nothing else)

Lights:
250W MH
Blue Actinics (do not remember wavelength)

Treatments:

Coraline UV Sterilizer Twister
Activated carbon bags
Phosgaurd reactor
REALLY good Protein skimmer. (I got the BEST deal ever on this!)

Life:

• 1 Sailfish Tang (Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Disease)
  • 1 Korean Angelfish (Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Disease)
Note: I can't seem to cure them. (I tried Selcon with no results.)

• 2 wbta's (Doing Very Well!)
  • Lots of Corraline alge
  • 2 mated Oscillaris clowns
  • 1 blood shrimp
  • 1 pistol shrimp. (I can hear him but have not seen him since I dropped him in the tank 6 months ago.
  • Some Serpent Stars
  • 1 brain coral (It has seen better days...)
  • 1 Candy Cane (dead)
  • 1 HUGE Birdsnest (dead)

I'll take some pics later this week...

Last edited:
I have three in a 185 tall with no problem and was thinking of a fourth as I love these BTA's! I also have two in my 55g, but have never had one split. I only feed mine maybe once per month, I know if you feed them a lot, they will grow big and could split
5jwglt.jpg

i never noticed anything bad when i had 4. my only concern was wondering anemones and my corals.. now i have heard horror stories of the anemones vs torches or hamer corals and they never end well.

As long as they are splits from the same original anemone you are fine, (sisters). If they were all different and even 4 is a small amount it could cause problems. Having hundreds from different families and you have a chemical battle between them. It's more likely that they are pestering your other corals by touching them. It shouldn't harm them too much but it will eventually kill them if they are in constant contact.

As long as they are splits from the same original anemone you are fine, (sisters). If they were all different and even 4 is a small amount it could cause problems. Having hundreds from different families and you have a chemical battle between them. It's more likely that they are pestering your other corals by touching them. It shouldn't harm them too much but it will eventually kill them if they are in constant contact.

Yup. I Had 11 large Rbta in this tank. Everything did fine as long the Rbta didn't run other coral over at night :)

Hard to tell in this pic
IMG_20120329_084844.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll try to post pics this evening. I'll also show you the

1 Sailfish Tang (Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Disease)
1 Korean Angelfish (Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) Disease)

Maybe someone knows how to heal them? I did a lot of online searching and adding Selcon to their food was the most popular. It did not work for me so now I'm questioning the "Con" in Selcon :)

I've read alot about HILLI too and alot of people think carbon has alot to do with it. I noticed you use carbon bags. I would take them out for awhile and you if decide to run carbon again use high quality stuff, rinse it really well too. The fine particles are what's thought to cause it. Good luck I hope they pull through.

Back