Candycane growing fast to rocks

yellowtruck75

It has been atleast 18 months since I last moved my candycane LPS. It is starting to get very big with atleast 85 heads and recently it started stinging some nice SPS so I had to move it. It seemed to be stuck when I realized that some of the heads had grown fast to the rocks. I heard it is rare for a LPS to grow fast. Is this true?

I got one with 3.5 heads two weeks ago. It is the fastest growing thing in my two-month-old tank: I now have, on the side I can see, two pairs of mouth-units that are now each growing another between them, for a total of 6 that I can see with another up to something on the far side. The thing feeds by broad daylight under metal halide, if something hits the water that it likes. I'm thinking of naming it Audrey.

I don't really know how rare it is, but it also happened to one of my LPS. I had a Lobophyllia grow fast to a rock that it was on for a few years. I did have to move it, and luckily it got over the area of flesh that was damaged in the move.

Are you guys spot feeding your Candycanes? I got a 3 head frag I want to get moving... I have manged to spot feed it twice with some cyclo-peeze(s) but that was only at night about 15 minutes after lights out... kind of a drag waiting around if you know what I mean.

it's not unheard of for LPS to grow fast, i think the slow growing stigma came from back in the days before we fed our corals. as long as it's picking fish food out of the water column, it'll grow like a weed. Caulastrea have always grown fast in my experience.

self - attachment like what you describe is usually attributed to juvenile lps, however if a coral was constantly touching a rock it's not unthinkable that it would lay skeleton down upon it to give itself added stability

Back