Canon G10

For point and shoot cameras its probably one of the best ones in the market, for price range you can get a nikon D40 and maybe a D60 in that price range...

I have tried finding lenses for it. But all I can find is a telephoto. I wonder if others will work with it as well?

~Michael

You don't buy lenses for this camera. It is NOT a DSLR. What you get is what you get, aside from a flash, you are done buying things for it.

A DSLR would allow you to use addtitional lenses but you will spend over $1000. I would easily take a G10 over a D40 or D60 right out of the box. The G10 can't be upgraded further however but the DSLR's can. Of course if I was going to go the DSLR route I wouldn't buy a Nikon D40 or D60 either. A D80, D90, or D300 would be a little more like it. Actually scratch that, a Canon 50D or 5D would be more like it.

If you want to spend over $1000 (probably way over), get a DSLR.
If you want to spend less than $1000, get the G10, but don't expect to buy lenses for it.

That is a 1.4x teleconverter. You loose a stop of light and a lot of image quality for an extra 40% zoom. Even if it was free I don't think I would use it much. $149? No thanks. The zoom gained isn't worth everything else you loose unless you REALLY need the zoom! I think you might be better off just cropping (cutting the edges of the picture off after they are uploaded to your computer to "zoom in").

Last edited:
With a 15MP camera, you can crop away and still have a pretty large image. So I wouldnt use the teleconverter either. The only thing I can imagine you needing a teleconverter for would be bird photography. But if that was the case, there are better cameras out there for that. But the G10 would be the best all around point and shoot. I have a G9 as my backup camera and love it.

Just remember that while the G10 is a a great camera, you won't be further upgrading it.

White the DSLR is a great camera, you MUST further upgrade it. $1000 isn't realistic if you want to beat the G10.

These are some of my pictures. Shot with a Sanyo Camcorder

SANY0820.jpg

000_0016.jpg

SANY0624.jpg

SANY0621.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

~Michael

Back