Care of Large Polyp Non-Photosynthetic Corals

thank you so much for this primer stunreefer. i read and reread this all the time.
No problem at all, glad I could help :thumbsup:
what's your regimen for bacterial control of nitrates/phosphates. i know you use prodibio - do you just follow instructions/dosing as recommended?
Yes, I just follow the insturctions, using one vial of BioDigest every two weeks and one vial of Bioptim per week. I also perform at least one 5 gallon water change per week on my ELOS Mini system (~20 gals net), two when I can. The skimmer that comes with the Mini system is inadequate IMO, so I'm changing that out this week actually and will be more comfortable with only weekly water changes. I will be staring to add a few gorgonians and "soft" NPS coral here over the winter which will require a constant food source, and I will have to readdress my nutrient export scheme. Hopefully just the skimmer upgrade will suffice, but I'm not opposed to adding a GFO Rx or De-Nitrate Rx if necessary.

I also utilize a filter sock to catch any excess foods and detrius. I will have to reevaluate this also when I add the other non-photosynthetic coral as they'll clog up extremely fast with small particulate food and it will likely hinder my system.

Hi Austin,

Do you use the nano version of BioDigest/Bioptim, or the full? Do you also still dose vodka/carbon everyday?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
Hey Rich,

I use the full size versions of the Prodibio products. The "nano" versions are only rated for up to 10 gallons, and I've only seen them sold in packs that also include the Iodine and Strontium supplements (which I don't use). I dillute the BioDigest and Bioptim in a cup of tank water but only use about 3/4 of it.

I do not use vodka or any other carbon source; Bioptim is the carbon source made by Prodibio, and BioDigest is the bacteria source (they just strap fancy names on them). You could use a different carbon source for daily dosing if you want such as vodka... Eric of glassbox design uses BioDigest as a bacteria source and vodka, sugar and vinegar as carbon sources (dubbed "V.S.V. method").

Thanks Austin.

Do you see any harm if you use all of it and not just 3/4? I am currently using Brightwell MB7/BioFuel and they are almost gone so I wanted to try prodibio.

Rich

Honestly I have never used all of it before, I wouldn't expect to see any harm. I only use 3/4 of it as it's just such a small system, and don't see the need for all of it. For example, per the directions for Diodigest, "use 1 ampule per 1,000 liters" (~265 gals), and since I'm only dosing my ELOS Mini I don't use it all.

I see your point. What do you do with the remainder, discard it? I have a Solana 34 and in pretty much the same situation as you. I am leaning towards using the full dosage as I also have a feeling it should be ok.

BTW, my rhizo is slowly recovering. :)

Thanks for your help.
Rich

What do you do with the remainder, discard it? I have a Solana 34 and in pretty much the same situation as you. I am leaning towards using the full dosage as I also have a feeling it should be ok.

BTW, my rhizo is slowly recovering.
Generally I dump the remainder in my QT tank (I have one always running), if not I discard it. Just be sure you have an efficient protein skimmer running on the system otherwise carbon dosing will more or less pollute your tank more than anything.

So glad to hear your rhizo is coming back around! :thumbsup:

I am trying the Tupperware method and seems to be working and polups are opening/puffing up after about 1 1/2 hrs and have added allot of cyclo and mysis food, however now what do I do? I was thinking of just leaving it in tupperware, but am concerned that it is just sitting in loads of food with no circulation and also when should I reintroduce back to tank.

Question - do sun corals do better hanging upside down, or on the side of a cave vs being just put on the bottom? Has anyone tried experimenting with them to see?

I don't have any at the moment but am wanting some for a system that I'm building now and I love the look of them hanging from walls and ceilings in the wild.

As long as they can capture food it doesn't matter. I agree they look awesome when hanging sideways or upside down as do many NPS corals. Just adds to the uniqueness of it.

I agree, doesn't matter where they're kept in that regard.
however now what do I do? I was thinking of just leaving it in tupperware, but am concerned that it is just sitting in loads of food with no circulation and also when should I reintroduce back to tank.
Once the coral has been sufficiently fed, I gently shake the coral so the polyps will close up. Give it a minute and place back in your display, trying to keep any food from the tupperware from going into the display.

Photo480.jpg

I feed mine every evening, I recently switched lighting setups and now have had to cut back my feeding. I was able to feed small amounts continuously with my old lighting setup. It has a plating type growth, Im not sure what species I have; and would be glad to know. Either way; I love my NPS and am looking into more

I feed my system once or trice a day depending whenever I'm at home.

You guys have an ID on this ?

DSC08077.jpg

and a closer pic...

DSC07982.jpg

:bum:

Awesome thread with great info.

My sun coral isn't coming out all the way yet and I've had it for a week and trying the tupperware method now. It gets to the point that I can barely see the yellow tentacles but they are NOT coming out. Some polyps, I can't see any yellow.

How long can it take before the coral is healthily eating?

I never feed my sun coral (generally overfeed my tank). Mine opens like clockwork every night at 7pm.. takes about 15min to fully open all the polyps

I've seen heteropsia (s) advertised that looked like that. Yours looks real small but even a 2" one I've seen for $600.

I feed my system once or trice a day depending whenever I'm at home.

You guys have an ID on this ?

DSC08077.jpg

and a closer pic...

DSC07982.jpg

:bum:

Back