Care of Large Polyp Non-Photosynthetic Corals

hey, great idea with the tupperware, i think i will try this with my snowflake polyps tonight. they haven't opened since i cleaned my tank 3 days ago, stirred up a lot of gravel. i hope it's not too late. i tried shooting him with a baster to make sure no gravel was stuck and tried spot feeding, but no luck. i may just give up if i lose him!

I tried the tupperware method and mine opened half way. The other morning I came out and saw them all fully open. The only time I see them like that is at night time and am already in bed. Will they be ok since I do not see myself waking up in the middle of the night to feed them.

Awesome thread with great info.

My sun coral isn't coming out all the way yet and I've had it for a week and trying the tupperware method now. It gets to the point that I can barely see the yellow tentacles but they are NOT coming out. Some polyps, I can't see any yellow.

How long can it take before the coral is healthily eating?
Really depends on the overall health of the coral and how far starved it really is. Just keep doing what you're doing - remember even if only one or two tentacles of the polyps are sticking out to feed those tentacles.
I tried the tupperware method and mine opened half way. The other morning I came out and saw them all fully open. The only time I see them like that is at night time and am already in bed. Will they be ok since I do not see myself waking up in the middle of the night to feed them.
You can "trick" the coral into feeding during the day. When you see it open with the lights on, feed it. Keep doing this and eventually it will remain open during the day for you.

I can tell its faulkneri, coz it has orange mouth, orange skin, and its 'smaller' than other tubastreas.
Here are some other shots:

t2-1.jpg

t3-1.jpg

t1-1.jpg

Man I love your red dendro buddy. What do you call that?? Is that dendro?

Few months ago I got for free Tubastrea (propably aurea, it was dyed to red) it was nearly starved to death, but did my best to keep it alive here are some shots:
All shots were taken during night when it was fully opened.

091.jpg

094.jpg

And last shot taken yesterday:

t4.jpg

There's a trick that you can do to get the corals to open and stay that way for longer periods during the day. When you first get the corals, they are only used to night feeding. Put a small amount of food in the tank for your fish during your dusk light dimming mode. The frozen carnivore version of the ocean nutrition foods worked well for me. The corals will smell the food and open up (as already noted in the tupperware method). If you are thawing the frozen cubes in water, then using a turkey baster or similar feeding device, you can spray the leftover thawing water near the corals since it also has the smell from the frozen food. After a little while (10-30 minutes), target feed the coral. Slowly over time (months) feed the fish a bit earlier each day (a few minutes) with small amounts of food and vary the target feeding time on the coral (feed some heads a little while after feeding the fish and others awhile later, but don't be consistent on which ones get feed early. Mix it up.). After several months of doing this, I was able to get the corals to open about five hours earlier than my normal dusk lighting period and the corals would stay open the whole evening (I usually didn't get home from work until 6:00 and the lights are on until 11:30). Once the corals get used to being feed early they seemed to consistently open early and stay open even without target feeding them directly after feeding the fish. If you have fish that require more frequent feedings (like anthias), then this process is much easier since you would normally feed frequent, small amounts to the tank anyway. Anyway, this always worked well for me.

Thanks for the sticky! This gives me new hope that I might see my sun coral during the day. I'm going to work on transitioning it over.

Is there a "best" food choice for sun corals? I feed mysis, cyclopeeze, and rods all which my sun coral seems to like. I also have some phytoplankton (DTs and Marine Snow) and I'm wondering if they would benefit from target feedings of phytoplankton?

Great shots pan! :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for the dye to come out?

Great job on the recovery of that coral too.

Hey, just wanted to say thank you for starting this thread. I have a dendro that wasn't opening up... In fact, it hadn't opened in FOUR days! I tried everything you said and guess what??? ... IT WORKED!!!! I wasn't feeding it correctly and my parameters were a little off. I adjusted the parameters and put it in a Tupperware and put a cube of mysis in with it... 25 minutes later it was opened up! I checked after 15 minutes but it wasn't enough time in my case... but 10 minutes after that we had an open, hungry dendro!

thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. I read up on here and other sources and finally purchased my first dendros.

My GF recently brought home a dendro for me from the lfs and it doesn't look so good and after reading this i realized i have been neglecting it's needs. So just a few questions.

When doing the tupperware method should it been done at night or in the dark or does it matter?

And if i post a picture would someone be able to tell if it is still savable or if its gone for good?

I've held them from the polyp area (retracted) when I had to get a small frag into a crack in the rock. I think the concern is probably tearing the flesh with the skeleton underneath it. As long as you are gentle I don't think there is any real differences with other LPS corals. Just like you wouldn't pick up a frogspawn by one of its tentacles.

Back