Caribbean Biotope Seagrass Tank

Haha. Fair enough. You just reminded me though that I need to move some aiptasia ridden rocks from my sump into my tank. Gotta keep my filefish sharp!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

This is going to be very cool in the long run. Are you keeping the shoal grass or going with all manatee grass?

Thanks Kevin! Exactly! I think so too.

Having had the experience of trying lots of different plants, and living with them for awhile, has given me a good idea of what I want and don't want. Now I have a much clearer vision of how I want my 'sea garden' to grow. Before, I would just try plants, to see if they would survive in my tank, and then just let them grow where they wanted. Now that I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't, as well as where they'll work, I can make better informed plant choices. My tank is at a point where several plants I don't want, have become a nuisance that I can't get rid of. Starting over will clean the slate and give me a blank canvas to start over with. I am VERY excited about that!

I'm hoping to keep the shoal grass. I will have to clean each blade and then QT and observe them to make sure they don't bring any bad stuff with them. Mixing it in with manatee grass should give me the look I'm looking for. It should fill in and give me that thick, lush look. I also like how their flat blades catch the light. The manatee grass will give me the height that works well with the tall dimensions of the tank. I'm hoping to lengthen the DSB 'planter' to make more room for more grasses too.

I am super stoked to get a second chance! Now that I think about it, this is another thing you and I have in common. Right now, you are gaining experience with various characters. When you set up the big tank, you'll have the chance to 'edit' as well!

Sounds like you have a good plan and have a great start on it! The grass in there looks nice and healthy too. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it now.

Kevin, I look forward to see what you come up with!

Thanks Sam!

Yes the shoal grass looks really good right now. It's still putting out new runners. It's going to be tough to remove it. My vision of where I want the tank to go is to feature the grasses more, while limiting the macros to only a few, carefully chosen ones. I enjoyed the jumbled jungle I had before, but now I'm ready to be a little more choosey. It will be a real challenge to see if I can 'tame the beasts' and keep things how I want them. I've already got some ideas I'm pretty excited about!

Caulerpa Paspoidoides is a very fast grower. It's downside is it should be pruned at least twice a month. Gorgeous lacy fern like leaves.

I grew Caulerpa Paspoidoides & Prolifera under 1000W MH at 6500 kelvin in 150G tank at 32" deep. Both went sexual the same night.

It is my opinion, that macros will photoadapt. Let us do a case study with Red Grapes. When I get Red Grapes from the divers, it is a rich dark burgundy, as it is collected in low light conditions between 30' - 120' of water. If I put it into reef lighting, it will turn orange, loose flotation balls, desinigrate, and go sexual.
I have a 55G tank that had red grapes "œgo sexual" two years ago. Red Grape frags are growing inside of covered HOB filter box and in high light areas. I can take a hanging bracket with red grape branches and put under intense light. Bortrycladio closest to light was yellow to orange to red to burgundy as Grapes went deeper and were shielded from lights

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookbotryo.htm

Yes, Patrick, I've been re-reading the Marine Plant book a lot lately! I like several of the caulerpas, but I may avoid them this time around, to avoid the heavy pruning duty.

For the back wall, I am considering Maiden's Hair. It loves bright light, spreads out, and looks good in the current.

I agree on adaptability. My C. racemosa peltata likes shady areas, but it grew right up to the surface and pretty much everywhere else, at its peak. I'd still like to grow botryocladia at the right end of the tank, in dimmer light. I still have a few tiny remnants, but I doubt they'll survive the re-do. Another red I'd like to have is Dragon's Tongue. It too can grow pretty big. I tried one of the eBay frags, but it didn't make it.

My theory on macro frags is that they're too small - almost like a short fuse. I think you need a bigger plant to give it more time to adapt to your conditions and/or time for you to make changes to suit it. A smaller plant gives you less time for that to happen.

Background question/statement/suggestion.

Adding a green macro to the wall will wash out the grasses, visually speaking. If you leave the wall free of plant life, unless it's red (not green), your seagrasses will pop and stand out better and be more of a focal point.

Guess there wasn't much of a question there. Lol

Here's one!

Jealous of my ginormous spaghetti worm???
53a0ad28b313e4aa43d9399a069b348d.jpg

That's all the tentacles wadded up together.

Duly noted, Sam. Great suggestions. You've given me some good stuff to think about.

I agree with you to some extent, but having had the back wall both ways, I prefer it planted. Something's gonna grow there, so I might as well choose what. Also, while I'm playing with foam for the left end wall, I may try adding some foam to the top of the back wall to get more overhang. Done right, the overhang will cast a shadow over the bottom half of the wall, allowing the grasses to pop visually.

You do have a good point about not using green, but I actually want a lot of green. I envision lots of different greens and different textures and lights and shadows. The overall look will be a sea of green, with a splash of red. Kind of like a fresh water planted tank. I do hope to feature the grasses.

That is a nice worm! I'm hoping to keep mine through the re-do. I've been thinking about how to move them without moving the nems.

Yes, Patrick, I've been re-reading the Marine Plant book a lot lately! I like several of the caulerpas, but I may avoid them this time around, to avoid the heavy pruning duty.

For the back wall, I am considering Maiden's Hair. It loves bright light, spreads out, and looks good in the current.

I agree on adaptability. My C. racemosa peltata likes shady areas, but it grew right up to the surface and pretty much everywhere else, at its peak. I'd still like to grow botryocladia at the right end of the tank, in dimmer light. I still have a few tiny remnants, but I doubt they'll survive the re-do. Another red I'd like to have is Dragon's Tongue. It too can grow pretty big. I tried one of the eBay frags, but it didn't make it.

My theory on macro frags is that they're too small - almost like a short fuse. I think you need a bigger plant to give it more time to adapt to your conditions and/or time for you to make changes to suit it. A smaller plant gives you less time for that to happen.

I stopped buying eBay macro frags. Too many hobbiest selling with not much quality control. Small pieces are stressed in shipping just as large pieces, but there is less to survive the transition.

With respect to photoadaptability, I have adjusted Red Tree Sponges & Yellow Ball Sponges to reef lighting. I still have to clean yellow ball sponges every few days with a toothbrush. The red tree sponges required cleaning every day for a month, but not anymore. With respect to Dragons Breath, I recommend the Pacific variety that is sometimes called Dragons Tongue, Halymenia dilatata.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3551/dragons-tongue-algae?pcatid=3551&c=497+3752+3551

https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm
I find the GOM variety too delicate.

I'd really like to try my hand at Halymenia Floresia. That's the one I've been looking for. Have you tried that one?

I have had all three of the GOM cultivar of Halymenia sprout from live rock. For various reasons, mostly eaten by herbivores, I have not had long term success. The Pacific variety, Halymenia dilatata, is tough and grows fast. At least a 5 fold increase per month. This cultivar is going to be my main product for ornamental
macro. At present, I have one inside tank dedicated to a tumble culture. By the first of April, I plan on at least two stand alone outside tanks dedicated to Dragons Tongue. It likes bright light.

More to think about..

Do you still plan on keeping this a true Caribbean Biotope? If so, now is the time to get it right since you're starting fresh. I remember you adding a few things here or there that weren't Caribbean specific and eventually it started to bug you. Lol

With that in mind, are the macros you're considering Caribbean?

Gonna fix the mangrove root??
I need something to read that doesn't involve foliage. Haha

I have been thinking a lot about whether to keep it a true Caribbean biotope. I still haven't decided!

Right now I'm leaning towards picking fish, plants, etcetera based on their looks, function and suitability to the ecosystem in my tank, rather than biotope rules. But I do love biotopes! I'm just finding sticking to the rules tricky, when also trying to fill ecosystem niches in my tank. Bottom line, the ecosystem approach is more important to me than biotopes.

The problem I've run up against with keeping a Caribbean biotope is a lack of 'ideal' representatives of certain fish groups I want to keep. For example, I really wanted to do a school of Blue Reef Chromis. Unfortunately these fish are VERY susceptible to disease, so I've written them off. There are other chromis and damsels from the Caribbean but all are either ugly or mean, and usually both. I've found a nice substitute, Allen's Damsel, that's from Indonesia, that looks a lot like a blue chromis, but should be sturdier. This would seem to be an ideal solution, but not biotope-correct.

So yeah, more to think about.

I guess, given the above bottom line statement, I should consider starting a new thread that more accurately portrays what I'm trying to do. Thinking back, I really only decided my tank would be a biotope because all of the plants I wanted happened to be caribbean. The true focus has always been to see if it's possible to build an ecosystem in a box that is 'complete enough' to more or less take care of itself.

I thought I'd decided I didn't need to start a new thread! Now I'm wondering…

The few macros I'm considering so far are all caribbean, but honestly, if I found something I think would be perfect for my tank, I wouldn't care. I'm hoping to enlarge the seagrass' footprint and shrink the macros', so I won't need a large variety.

I do plan to fix the fake root. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult. I may paint it darker too. It has been a great decoration and substrate for various things, as well as an excellent, functioning 'prop' to hide a powerhead. I've really enjoyed having it!

Thanks again, Sam, for more thought-provoking thoughts!

The more I think about this project, the more I realize I need to give it more thought! With another trip next month, I'm thinking I may just spend this month doing more thinking, then get to work on it when I return.

After 45 years of reefing, I have stayed away from strict bio types. Even though I favor a mixed garden macro lagoon, my focus has always been the ecosystem. Because I am a “laissez faire” reefkeeper, I want my system biology to function naturally as God designed nature to be, using Dynamic Equilibrium to maintain chemistry, biology and physics. We sometimes even have to excercise psychology & sociology with the inhabitants of our glass tanks.

Caribbean Biotope Seagrass Tank

I'm going to petition to get the thread re-titled "œCaribbean-ish Biotope Seagrass Tank" [emoji6]

I'll pass around a sheet for signatures. Lol

Yes Patrick, biotopes' restrictions can be a pain, but I have enjoyed the experience, and learned a lot. I will continue in a biotope vein, I just haven't decided how biotope-y. Like you, my focus is more on an ecosystem than a geographic area. It's a Seagrass Lagoon Biotope. They occur world-wide. Coincidently, most of the plants available to aquarists here in the US are from the Caribbean.

Sam, maybe I'll go with "Caribbean-ish, kinda Biotope". Ha!

So our tanks are two things; a model of a place in the sea, and a functioning ecosystem in a box. The high concept, and the trenches.

After contemplating my DSB and its creatures within, I have decided it's too risky to try to transfer my live sand to the new tank. So I'm going to need to capture said creatures and transfer them separately. Doesn't that sound fun? Worm and Pod Safari! Am I a weirdo?

Man, it's great to talk about this stuff! It helps me think it through. So I'll need some new sand to transfer the creatures and grasses into. Another piece of the puzzle…

Back