Chalice and acan receding

RoachF4

Hey all,

I've had my 180 set up for just over a year now. It's a mixed tank with 4 AI sol blues in the hood. Most of the colonies in question were put in the tank about 1 month after the initial cycle, so they've been in there for about 10 months. There is a mummy eye, alien eye, and assorted acans that all started out great. They were growing at a very consistent pace until about two months ago. Acans started first...they would close up and then start losing heads. Chalices started peeling back from the skeleton and all the while my sps, zoas, and everything else (including similar acans and chalice colonies) continues to grow well.
I have a BM triple doser, dosing BRS Ca, Alk, and Mag (although I don't dose much Mag as I use Reef Crystals). I probably have 50 test kits from all the different brands as I like to test and keep on top of water quality. RO/DI is maintained well and the TDS is checked with two different meters. The systems is controlled via Apex...temp doesn't fluctuate more then a degree. pH is stable with 8.1 as the high and 7.9 as the low.
The only product I have changed in the last few months has been the carbon. I went from ESV granulated to ROX .8 Other then that, same salt, supplements, food, and GFO. I was using Prodibio Biodigest from the intial startup...stopped for a couple months and then started again at the begining of summer.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm really at a loss here. I've done some research on here and see that some others have tried interceptor for parasites...I really don't think that is the problem as I have some other acans and chalices that are still growing well. Any advice at this point would be appreciated. Thank for your time.

Roach

Are they getting close to each other? I have had different chalices that packed a punch and some acans that would knock out a chalice. Maybe look at night after lights out to see if they are extending and doing battle.

Thanks for the reply ...they are pretty far apart and it doesn't look like damage. Just slow death. I had a massive acan colony that grew up from 3 heads finally die out completly last night. Any other ideas or similar situations?

ingtar,

If you don't mind me asking what type of lights are you running? Do you have anything similar to my setup?

When was the last time you updated firm ware on your apex? I had an old program running on my system and it was starting to mess up my lighting schedule..... out of the blue it doubled my eb8 and gave my lighting back its default settings. I didnt notice because I am not home during the day and it appeared to turn off near my normal time at night. I started to lose corals, well some sps and what not where still thriving. I am not saying this is your issue but just keep in mind that the most tech heavy system is still susceptible to failure or at least error.

Back