Change the date for elections.

just dave

11th in '11
Everyone should consider changing the date for elections and with it the date for the newly elected to take office. I think the installment date for new officers should be after the frag swap. Since the swap seems to be the clubs big event that requires the most effort those in office should be able to see it through and there would be no disruption in the planning and execution.

That's a good point, although so far the hardest working people on the frag swaps have not all been officers.

Another couple reasons to thing about changing:

First, our fiscal year end is June 30 but all our IRS nonprofit paperwork was filed as December 31 year end. It's not a big deal, but it's easier and a little cleaner when its the same.

Secondly, our December holiday party meeting is most definitely our best attended. I think we'd get more participation in the voting and it would make it kind of a nice time to celebrate passing the batons from one officer to the next when more members were there to connect the faces with the names.

Richard, when you started the club.... do you remember what the thoughts were behind a June 30 year end?

Someone will need to re-write Article VI, Section 3 of the constitution. That constitution must also be resubmitted for our non-profit paperwork. Any changes to a club's Constitution requires that the club resubmit for non-profit eligibility.

A change in fiscal year is different and doesn't require a re-evaluation of non-profit elegibility. In any case, the IRS already thinks we're December 31 so not sure what would even be required. I've been meaning to straighten that out, but it hasn't mattered since we're too small to be required to file.

This isn't any kind of change we need to make without discussing at a meeting and involving everyone and thinking all the way through it.

It's worth talking about, though. And the paperwork to do it is easy if that's what we decide we want to do.

Dave .... stirring it up again.

:p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12881561#post12881561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crpeck

Dave .... stirring it up again.

:p

It just seems to make sense to let that folks that start something have a chance to finish it.

Seems to me that this woudl be a good thing for the Board to "ask" for opinions + - etc... and then let them meet, and present it to the general membership at the next meeting!!

They could also look at changing the Constitution as it is written on our website as below where we it is typed as the "jackson area marine and reef club" below is cut and pasted from that site.

I am sure it is a typo but it should be changed. If not a typo it is very confusing.

Article VII

Board of Directors

Section 1 The duly elected Officers and three (3) Trustees as set forth in Article VI, Sections one (1) and two (2) shall comprise the Jackson area Marine and Reef Club

Last edited:
Yep. That was the original name of the club. We changed it at the first meeting so it would encompass a larger area. That one got past me somehow.

Back