Check out this fish

philter4

This thing is cool, it was photographed at744 meters in Monteray bay by their submersible. The fish has a clear dome over its eyes and brain, in fact if you look it up in fishbase.org they didn't realize it had flesh above the eyes. The two eye like structures by the mouth are sort of a reflective divice that allows the eyes to see forward as their lenses are facing upwards. This photo is a still from the video they shot of it swimming around mid water, if you could call 2400 plus ft mid water LOL!!!
Scientific name is Macropinna microstoma
Macropinnamicrostoma.jpg

It always boggles my mind that we as humans know so much more about outer space than we do about the deep oceans. No telling what all crazy stuff is down there. Thanks for sharing.

I don't, just some still shots and this is the best one. You could try to go to the Monteray Bay Research Institute web page and try to see if they have it up yet, this came from the magazine Copeia, the Journal of Ichthyology and Herpetology. I wish I had the article, I wonder how big this fish is, if it was collected, and if it was brought to the surface alive... Things like that. I know they have brought fish up from the deep in the past and actually kept them alive in special tanks on the research vessel so they could video them and photograph the live colors before preserving them.

I love deep sea fish and wonder if you had enough time to decompress them at the surface (chambers are not that hard to make) if you could keep them long term. There are several fish from over 1000 ft that make regular journies to 40-60 ft in moonless nights. If you could set up a tank that was cool enough, and dark, collect fish like deep water hatchet fish, and then try to keep them, that would be an impressive display.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14124641#post14124641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grouperhead
It always boggles my mind that we as humans know so much more about outer space than we do about the deep oceans. No telling what all crazy stuff is down there. Thanks for sharing.

Me too. Why do we always look for water on other planets when we know so little about our own oceans?

That is a cool fish.

It reminds me of one of those invisible human models where you can see through the skin to the organs. Very cool!

Back