Cherub and a Flame angel in a 75?

Rewd

Planning a new 75G. Will be approx 150lbs of live rock with a sump underneath. Eventually will become a reef. I'm aware of the possibility of angels nipping corals.

That said, is it feasible that these two could coexist in this size tank? If so, is there a certain way they should be introduced to prevent aggression?

shouldn't be a problem in a 75 gallon with that much rock. The best thing to do is to introduce them at the same time. But if you can't do that, introduce the Cherub first as they're quite a bit smaller and tend to be less aggressive.

dont know if this helps, but when i tried introducing a coral beauty my flame angel tried to kill him within a few minutes. i have a 72 with plenty of hiding spaces.... needless to say they are seperated now...lesson learned

I wouldn't chance it. Two pygmy angel in the same tank is never a good idea unless it's a huge tank. A 75 is a nice tank size but they will run into each other and you probably don't want a full on chase ending in someone's death. Plus if they don't kill each other your also looking at stress levels.

cherubs can be very very aggresive. If you introduce them at the same time it might be OK, but it might not, if you do not put them in at the same time they are bound to fight.

There's always some risk, but it shouldn't be a problem if you introduce them at the same time. Buy smaller sized fish. Give the cherub 12-24 hours in the tank before adding the flame. :)

That said, the length of your tank & the way your rockwork is arranged are important. I have 5 angels (4 are Centropyges) that get along nicely in a 100g. Rockwork is two separate bommies, loosely stacked, tons of large tunnels/dividers/passageways and very very little rock actually touching the back of the tank. If that sounds different from yours, you may want to think twice about doing it.

godlyme, IMO flames dislike coral beauties in general. When added simultaneously, it's better if the CB is a bit larger than the flame - but adding a CB to an established flame is asking for serious trouble. Did you add yours at the same time?

My flame angel murdered my clarkii clown in a 180 - and the clown was well able to put up a fight. It started off as the ocasional squabble. It then became more frequent and a little more serious, though it wasn't that bad. One day I noticed that the clown would not leave the sacrophyton mushroom that he can come to think of as his anemone - and the flame looked very tatty around the edges...... on closer inspection, the clown had an injured eye, and later died as a result of infection.

The flame was definitely the agressor in all cases, and being a good match for one another, the flame just would not let it rest. I would think that a cherub would be more of a thorn in the side than a clarkii clown, and seenig as the tank is half the size of my 180 then I would advise against it.

My friend now has the flame in a 150, along with a large maroon clown - much larger than the flame, and very well established...... the flame is at his old tricks again, and my friend is now going to have to break down his tank to get him out (this flame is too smart for fish traps...... he has a 6th sense!!!)

HTH

Matt

I have a cherub and a flame in my 125 and they get along well. I picked up the cherub when he was small and added him around 8 months or so before the flame. The flame is larger. There was a little aggression for the first couple of days, but they've been peaceful since then. I can see how adding the flame first could have brought different results.

yeah i added the coral beauty after the flame...like 4 months difference. its really funny because the fish store guy at aqua hut told me not to get a copperband butteryfly cause it might nip at my clams....but said he has a coral beauty and flame angel.. it was his recomendation.... guess i learned my lesson

Yeah I have heard that flames are really aggresive. I would just keep one flame in a tank byitself with no other angels. I am going to put a pygmy and a potter's in at the same time and that should work out. The key is to find two dwarfs that are more mellow.

It can be done. Size is the huge factor here!! Chubs will hold there own with almost anything, lol. For their size they pack a punch. I would intorduce the chub first, and make is the small fish. I would get one around 1 inch. The introduce the flame a few weeks later to give the chub time to stake out the place. Make the flame around 2 inches. There will be some chasing, but unless you see some real damage, I would just let them work it out. Im gonna put a pair of flames, and a majestic angel in my 100. Good luck!! It is sweet to see a tank full of angel, and they get along

Michael

My Cherub is crazy! Anytime I add anything to the tank, including 2 shaving brush plants, that fish charges right up to it and starts waving it's little tail at it. It's kind of funny but keeps me from adding anymore fish to the aquarium so that crazy fish doesn't stress everyone out!:lol:

hahaha, that is sooooo funny!! Ive never seen a fish let a "plant" know whos boss!! By the way how do you like the plant? I was thinking of getting a few, one for the tank and a few for the refug.

I would definately recommend them for a refugium! I would not recommend putting them directly into the aquarium. I understood that they weren't edible to herbivores but my hermits were all over it and my emerald crab kept coming over and pulling it out by the stem and carrying it away like a torch. I don't have a refugium, but wanted to save them so for right now I have water bottle with the top and bottom cut off and pushed down around them to save them, although the emerald crab has managed to reach one from the top of a rock and stretching out for it.

I actually had a flame angel and cherub in my 72 bowfront. I would say add them at the same time. I had my cherub first and wasnt aware of their agression and when i introduced the flame it was almost killed. But then they got along real well after.

Back