Chiller Thoughts

HartfordWhalers

Afternoon All!
I am new to the S. Florida area and was looking for advice on chillers. Being from up north, for heaters general rule of thumb was 3-5 watts per gallon. Im not 100% how the Florida summers go so was hoping to get some input. I have a 75 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump. Glass tops to help with evap. I am running 2 Kessil 160we that produce minimal heat. I am not currently running a heater and the tank sits around 80. I have central air and keep the house max 78 during the day. I have been looking at the JBJ Arctic 1/10hp. Is there a rule of thumb on how many hp per gallon? Also anyone in the area use something similar to help keep the tank cool- or have other suggestions. Is it needed? I have been researching but would be curious on more input from y'all who have endured the heat of the summers in south florida. from experience would a 1/10hp arctic be enough.

Andrew

Replacing your glass tops with fine mesh or eggcrate can actually help with your cooling, as glass tends to restrict oxygen exchange at the surface, and can trap heat that can increase your temperature. A small fan aimed at the surface of the water can also help.

A chiller isn't bad, but they can be prone to breakdowns at times and they add another source of heat in your house.

If you have your A/C set at 78 and the tank is 80, imo your fine.

Also as mentioned, remove the glass lids and it will help with cooling even more. Making an extra gallon of water a week vs the electric bill with a chiller.... you get the picture

Also, make sure you have energy efficient skimmer, return and in tank pumps because they can add a substantial amount of heat to the water. A Mag 18 pump can make the water temp increase by 3-5F degrees, for example.

+1 on removing the glass tops and add a couple of cooling fans for the heat displacement coming from the lights. My fans are connected to a temp probe to turn on above 78 degree..

Hope this helps.

Agree with everyone. If you do not have an APEX to control a fan you can get an INKBird for pretty cheap. This will add another layer of protection if you ever add a heater during a cold patch of weather. The fan will drop your temperature a couple degrees but as mentioned will increase evaporation. I like to keep my tank at 78 degrees but others argue fish and coral do better at 76. If you are in the 76-80 range you will be fine. Things get more dicey at higher temperatures than lower. Talk to all the guys that lost power during the hurricane about raising water temperatures. They can tell you nightmares.

1/10th hp for 75 plus sump will work but will be overtaxed at anything more than 2-3 degree drop imo. Always best to buy larger for chillers. Many factors to consider include added heat from pumps, rate of evaporation, lighting intensity and duration. Each degree warmer increases the concentration of ammonia.

If you can afford a chiller, it will be worth it. Your house a/c will breakdown, a storm will knock out the power to your home and it usually happens on the weekend or while you're on vacation ;).

Back