Chloramines to Free Chlorine Residual

EvMiBo

VictoriaConcordiaCrescit
Hi there,
I recently received a notice from my utilities company stating that they would be temporarily converting their disinfectant process of tap water.

"LCU will be temporarily converting its disinfectant process from chloramines to free chlorine residual from May 1st through May 29th, 2013."

Later in the notice, they mentioned that: "Tropical fish or aquatic animal owners should contact a local tropical fish store for appropriate pretreatment of water before adding water to tanks."

Any precautions I should make?

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I have a buckeyefieldsupply 75gpd premium RO/DI unit.

Also, should I be taking precautions against chloramines as well? I honestly had never heard about this / known there were chloramine RO/DI units until I started searching.

Typically a good carbon block will get the job done. They sell chloramine specific units but it really isn't necessary if you keep up on maintenance.

It is usually going the other way from chlorine to chloramine that causes issues. If you've been OK with chloramine then you should be OK with chlorine. With that RODI you should be cool either way.

Typically a good carbon block will get the job done. They sell chloramine specific units but it really isn't necessary if you keep up on maintenance.

It is usually going the other way from chlorine to chloramine that causes issues. If you've been OK with chloramine then you should be OK with chlorine. With that RODI you should be cool either way.

I believe the .5 to 1 micron blocks will work, based on my own research. My city water uses chloramine.

Good to hear. My carbon block is 0.5 micron and was replaced last December.

Back