Clarion Angel experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggerfish1976

I know this is a long shot since very few if any have been collected in the last 10 years but I thought I would see if there were any hobbyists that still have one from the last legal collection batches.

rumor has it a wholesaler in CA is getting them in. dunno how many though. but they'll probably cost 3-4000

Supposedly it's more than a rumor. I am working on getting one or a few as soon as they are available which could be in a week or so and the price will be much less than $3-$4000.00. It would be pretty crazy for Clarions and a Personatus to be available in less than a 6 month time span.

Not much to say about them... they're a bulletproof Holacanthus! When I was little 20 years ago I remember seeing these guys for $300 to $400 regularly... the same price as a purple tang! :)

And it's not a rumor... we'll be seeing them very shortly, and legally this time! Too bad I wasn't on the boat for the collection of these guys though! :D

Copps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612000#post11612000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps

And it's not a rumor... we'll be seeing them very shortly, and legally this time! Too bad I wasn't on the boat for the collection of these guys though! :D

Copps

We can't all be that lucky. :D

Yeah I guess I had better odds of winning the Powerball than landing a personatus... sad when you think about it... until I figure my chances were at least 100 times better of getting struck by lightning than catching that fish! :D

I used to have one. Got it as a juvenile when it colors are gorgeous. Tough fish, did not take anything from other fish. I had it in a 350 gallon FOWLR tank with 5 other angels.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612033#post11612033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps
Yeah I guess I had better odds of winning the Powerball than landing a personatus... sad when you think about it... until I figure my chances were at least 100 times better of getting struck by lightning than catching that fish! :D

Was this fish already destined for Asia as soon as they caught it or could a US hobbysist had a chance at it?

Money talks... and most Hawaii guys prefer to ship within the country all other things equal. The word went out to contacts all over the world, including the US, and not surprisingly Japan bit first quickly and didn't even blink at the price... :) If a US hobbyist wanted it, they could've gotten it... As crazy as I am, it was just too rich for my blood... but man did I think about it! :) The experience was priceless though... and free at the same time! :)

All things being equal, does anybody have the marbles to put a holocanthus into their reef? I love the clarions, but I cant imagine they would be very nice to any inverts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612141#post11612141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps
Money talks... and most Hawaii guys prefer to ship within the country all other things equal. The word went out to contacts all over the world, including the US, and not surprisingly Japan bit first quickly and didn't even blink at the price... :) If a US hobbyist wanted it, they could've gotten it... As crazy as I am, it was just too rich for my blood... but man did I think about it! :) The experience was priceless though... and free at the same time! :)

I was actually very close to PM'ing the day you posted the story to inquire about it but they have such specific husbandry needs that I wasn't setup to provide at the time so I hesitated trying to think about how I could change the tank around to a temperate system and the next thing I knew it was on its way to Japan.
Oh well. At least there are a couple of Clarions that should be available and like you said they are bulletproof.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612161#post11612161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
All things being equal, does anybody have the marbles to put a holocanthus into their reef? I love the clarions, but I cant imagine they would be very nice to any inverts.

I have kept both queens and passers and they were actually pretty good with most corals. The main ones they pciked at were Zoas, and some of the more fleshy LPS but my SPS, softies, and most of the other LPS were fine. I am planning on putting the Clarion into a Soft coral dominated tank so we will see. The main issue with Holacanthus is their territorial behavior but if the Passer that I kept was as bad as it gets then I am not to worried.

I would try it Jeremy in with my sps and clams... the three Pacific Holacanthus are in a different subgenus than the Atlantic blue and queen angels that pretty much give the genus a bad name in regards to "reefsafeness". It's worth a shot... sps don't get destroyed overnight by angels like lps or zoas would... and I've seen them in Japanese reefs...

The personatus is far from a temperate fish... subtropical maybe... but mid 70s on them is fine... it was just such a huge gamble though on a fish with a bad track record... all of the personatus that the Waikiki Aquarium got that did well were collected as females too... but we could all agree on one thing... rare or not, the personatus and clarions are BEAUTIFUL fish...

wow. I thought I had big ones, but you guys and making me feel inferior. John- really? Clams? Big ones...giant.... Then again, I am of the opion of a fellow RCer here with certain agnels- Put them in a reef and let them eat- they are gorgeous.

I would agree that territoriality would be a big concern too.

John, I'm a little leary of believeing what I see in some of those asian tanks. Heck, we have all seen the one with 15+ bandits in what looks like a 20 gallon high tank. It is hard for me to believe ether is a lot of long term success in harmony. I know this view is very untrusting and borderline stereotypical, but it is just hard for me to swallow.

Trigger- you really had a queen in with no problems? I had a queen in my awful reef once, and it decimated EVERYTHING!!

Jeremy: I grew her up from a juvenile so that may be part of my success since I seem to have better luck when I get the big angels when they are babies and ween them onto prepared foods. I also overfeed by today's standards in order to keep them fat and happy.
The newly collected large adults seem to be the ones that go crazy on the corals.

queens and blues even small ones tend to pick at and destroy everything. especially once they get past the 3-4 inch size. we can collect them here down to 1 inch, but even they they are harder to catch than my 1 inch blue tang.

100 where harvested. 50 went to japan. 50 coming into the US. from a very reliable source who has been in contact with the importer. price i was given was 2500$

JM68
50 to Japan and 50 to the states leaves Hong Kong with nothing, which is impossible.
Especially in the case of larger specimens, Hong Kong will be the best market in the world for Clarions, incld Japan.

What changed to allow for legal collection of these wonderful angels?

Is this something that will now be available for years to come or is this a short term/fluke thing?

Any idea what size(s) were collected? Younger/smaller ones or adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back