Clarion Angel experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean like "arrive alive" guarantees? Depends on the factors. No unhealthy fish are shipped out, and these guys tend to be nearly bullet proof :D Shipping Mexican angels is far less of a gamble then shipping any other locations angels. The flight is so short we barely have time to get the darn shipment cleared. We only get the final paper work once the planes departs Baja, so we only have true flight time to clear the shipment.

Hardly a secret now :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11634325#post11634325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
To be honest, I'd have to check my emails as it's been pushed back a few times and I have a few dates stuck in my head :lol:

The longest journey for them will be the trip back from the islands. Once they land it's just a few days till they are shipped out. There really isn't much time for them to be fed prior to be shipped and still be cleaned out for shipping.

We have no problem shipping XXL Passers, Clarions or Cortez's from Baja. No different then the smaller fish except much larger bags(2 to a box). The flight it so short they barely need acclimation and fight right out of the bag if given the chance :lol:

17643Clarionhybrid.jpg

this guy was like a foot tip to tail

17643Xynthaticpasser.jpg

this guy was over a foot

17643clarionwithpasser.jpg

this guy was like 8"

Gorgeous photos Gresham... for those who do not know these photos, from top to bottom these show a Holacanthus clarionensis/ Holacanthus passer hybrid, a xanthic color morph of Holacanthus passer, and a full blooded Holacanthus clarionensis.

Gresham, in regards to no collection of large adults, I think Steve was referring to the difficulty of moving larger individuals in the boat back... that would make sense... I don't know... who cares... let Hong Kong complain about that!:D

Anyway, here's a shot of the size that with luck will make it stateside... the beautiful subadult coloration (like your sweet avatar Trig!)...

The major populations if H. clarionensis are found in the Revillagigedos Islands (including their namesake Clarion Island), which are about 250 miles southwest of the Southern tip of the Baja peninsula in Mexico (Cabo San Lucas). The fish is common in this island chain. Larval drift to the area of Cabo San Lucas has resulted in a small population of clarions there, which breed into the Holacanthis passer population resulting in hybrids like the one above. Holacanthus passer is absent from the Revillagigedos, so these hybrids always come from the mainland... a prominent ichthyologist put it to me this way... he compared it to a few million years ago when **** sapiens possibly lived alongside **** neanderthalis... imagine getting stuck with a tribe of neanderthals for a while... after a while they'd start to look pretty good if you had nothing else! :D Despite being in the Holacanthus genus, they grow to half the size of their Atlantic cousins the queen and the blue (the documentation says 8", but I think larger... Gresham?). Famed ichthyologist Dr. Gerry Allen also documented clarions from a third location at Clipperton Island 600 miles south of the Revillagigedos (very rare and believed to be waifs). Clipperton is the tiny home of the third and last Holacanthus of the Pacific, Holacanthus limbaughi. A vision of this hybrid is exciting also!

I just broke out my "Butterfly and Angelfishes of the World" book published by Dr. Allen in 1985, which has Holacanthus clarionensis on the cover. A line from the clarion section says, "Although rarely seen in Europe, the Clarion Angelfish is frequently available to American hobbyists." Yes this is one of the very few fish that has become less available in the industry! :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11634388#post11634388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914
I think my wife would literally murder me if i even mentioned paying that much for a fish. They are a gorgeous fish but not for that price tag, I don't have that deep of pockets plus the U.S. is unknowingly in a recession. Save your money for when we are paying $5+ for a gallon of gas this summer. Hate to be a downer, but to spend that much on something that could potentially die upon being put in your tank is too risky and not financially feasible for the average saltwater hobbiest(although for all I know you guys might be millionaires). For those getting these secret shipments, are there any guarantees being offered?

BTW, even though I just had a semi-rant, please post pics of your new additions once you get them.

JNC, I don't think anyone is saying these fish are for the average saltwater hobbyist. For many of us we idolized these fish growing up... for me fish like Centropyge resplendens, Pomacanthus asfur (yes this was rare along with other Red Sea imports), Pomacanthus chrysurus, Chaetodontoplus conspicillatus and Holacanthus clarionensis I looked up at like they were Ferraris... never thinking I'd have the opportunity to own them... for all I knew these were a million dollars! When I worked a LFS in high school I remember getting in a black tang for the first time... I would have been less surprised to see E.T. in the bag! In those days I got all amped up and excited about fish like a majestic angel! That same childish excitement I get in these fish listed above, and the only one I don't have yet is the clarion... :) For those of us who are far from millionaires it is an expensive purchase, but quite honestly buddies of mine blow more in Vegas over a weekend... the enjoyment I get from these fish is well worth the price. Yes they are living creatures and die, and whether that's in 1 or 15 years, you're paying for the experience... and for those of us with a passion for these fish it's an honor to even get the opportunity to purchase such a beauty...

This is getting more exciting...

Copps

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11635596#post11635596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by giller
The one in this video looks like an absolute beast

http://www.blueharbor.co.jp/factory/eat/

Man!
Why did ya put that link?
Just ruined my weekend.....
That guy have them all, not a single rare fish I can think of which is not there.

That Clarion obviously outgrew his tank, the last few years most of the Clarions in HK were coming from Japan as full adults like in that vid.

hahah that video is horrible! first we see the clarion and drool. after the food hits, then we see a conspic. and then go wow. then we see that pygmy angel, joculator? i forget. one after another fish we rarely get to see in the states!

When I was little 20 years ago I remember seeing these guys for $300 to $400 regularly... the same price as a purple tang!

I bought one for $400 back around '91-92. It was 6" & had the full adult coloration. Easy fish to keep & nice disposition compared to most of the species in that category. Unfortuntely I lost it a few months after I moved to my current location in '93. It never would have happend with the experience & knowledge I have now. This is probably the biggest regret I've had in this hobby, not because they are $3-4k now, but because it was the nicest angel I ever had. I would have never sold it.

I still have my $350 Purple tang though 15 years later
:)

Trigger- you are my idol. And you got big brass ones too!

I personally like a bit differnt motif in my colorations. That bold golden orange is certainly gorgeous, and of course you have a defintiive rare fish, but I prefer a contrats and pattern to the fish. Guady fish are great, but sometimes a little subtle class is all it takes. Heres a suggestion, get some garibaldis to put in there also. Typically a colder water species, I ahve heard they do moderately well in slightly warmer waters too (76-78).

(Im just jealous).

John, mainland Clarions tend to loose the juvi color quicker. The cube that guy was in is only a 12" cube. I actualy want to say he was a bit smaller then 8" but that is what I have in my photo notes. I've seen Clarions 4" larger as adults so I'd say 8" max is wrong. Now Island bound Clarions may not get as large, which the documentation may be referring to. Mainlanders are rare.

Gresham, in regards to no collection of large adults, I think Steve was referring to the difficulty of moving larger individuals in the boat back... that would make sense... I don't know... who cares... let Hong Kong complain about that!

Oh yah, boat wise your 100% correct. Why waste precious tank space on 1 when you could put 3-4 in the same volume. One large one could damage the rest as well.

I was extremelly suprised to here how small they're going to be collected at. Like you said, this time of year it's farely rare to find smaller ones in and around Baja. The cold kinda wipes anything out that is not of size yet.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11635596#post11635596 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by giller
The one in this video looks like an absolute beast

http://www.blueharbor.co.jp/factory/eat/

Sweet video Dave! In defense of the clarion it was feeding time! :) Don't overlook the wild Centropyge debelius and Centropyge resplendens, and Pseudanthias hawaiiensis! This aquarium is from Kyoto Japan and is profiled in the new Angelfishes of the World book on page 138.

Ed, cool story... and congrats on your old purple tang... :)

Jeremy, I see you coming to the dark side of angelfish nuts little by little... :)

Gresham, are these coming from the islands or Baja? When this is done, please get working on going to Clipperton! The Nautilus Explorer went there last year (diving liveaboard), and everyone was depressed from the trip, as the longliners have wiped out most of the large sea life it was once known for... fortunately the clipperton angel seems to be unaffected... :) The next trip is scheduled for 2010 and is already sold out... For interested in seeing some excellent Holacanthus limbaughi photos check out this site

Islanders. Mainland your lucky to pull 2. You know, your not the first person to ask me about Clipperton :) At least there the drug runners don't use poisen based dyes to mark where the "drop" was, can't say as much for Baja :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11638089#post11638089 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps

Jeremy, I see you coming to the dark side of angelfish nuts little by little... :)

John, you misunderstand me. I am already there. Dangit. I am evaluating whether i like clams or angels more. DANGIT!!!

Jeremy, the very fact that you're making that evaluation means your not there yet!:D Come on over!

haha John I think that video is just further proof of the clarion being bulletproof, that thing has some serious girth.

I know... those P. hawaiiensis and C. debelius are so sweet even though there are no close-ups. I think it is safe to say that this tank has everyone's dream fish no matter what your into angel, anthias, etc.

Kouji has some sweet fish.

The deepwater drum is particularly cool: http://www.dynastymarine.net/photogallery/pages/specimen012.html

I wonder what that fish is in the front under the coral (hawk?).

Looks like everything is real healthy in that tank. Resplendent, Conspic, Colini, Africanus, Clarion, Debelius, Joculator, Multicolor, 2 Lemonpeel/Heraldi, Nox, Eukrines Bass, Hi-Hat, Drum, Ocellaris, Pictilus, Cleaners, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11638500#post11638500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by copps
Jeremy, the very fact that you're making that evaluation means your not there yet!:D Come on over!

touche'

I wonder what that fish is in the front under the coral (hawk?).

joetbs-

I think it is a Plectranthias pelicieri from Japan and oddly Mauritius. A dream fish of mine.

0d1975b5.jpg

So where is everyone getting their Clarions from? Local or online vendors or direct?

Ah, i remember Kouji showing me a pic of that fish at MACNA. Didn't recognize it in the tank (much larger than the Plectranthias we are used to). Unfortunately, they do not seem to be available at all from Mauritius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back