Clown laying eggs!

jcs11236

Was leaving my house and noticed my clowns acting funny. I took a closer look and see my clown laying a ton of eggs while the male was keeping guard. What a site! I just paired my clown a month ago. Have had my Pagoda for over 7 years alone. She most have been hot for a male! Lol.
She was laying the eggs right under my rbta. Now what happens. Do they all eventually just die? how long do the eggs stay there? Thanks in advance

Congrats JCS... this means ur tanks params are ideal!! What happens next is up to you. If left alone, in 7-10 days(temp and lighting sched play a roll here also),
they will hatch and eventually be eaten by the parents & other tank inhabitants. She will then lay another batch and the male will be on guard again fanning the eggs. It's pretty kool.... GRANDPA!!! LOL! Enjoy!

I feel bad for the clowns in my tank bro, they lay eggs 2 times a month and then they release and the fish eat them. I am in the process of learning about how to raise the clowns.

Noel, the male guards the eggs not the femal. Also how can you tell which one is the male and femal?

The male is the one who does all the work. After she lays, she'll go off and wander around while he sits on guard. The male only leaves for a bit just to eat a couple of morsel's. I sometimes feel bad for him because there are months at a time where she's constantly laying eggs(mine every 12-14 days)and he's busy faning and grooming the cluster of eggs. Then when I rearrange things in the frag tank, she'll stop spawning for a month and you'll see him sleep any chance he gets.

The male is always smaller than the female Ant, that's how you'll know who's who.

Thanks Noel. You are right about the male. The poor lil guy has been on guard all day- lol. pretty cool to watch

Thanks guys. But i have another question/concern
Is it normal for my clown to be getting ready to lay eggs again and the old eggs have not yet hatched.? Are the old eggs dead already?
I see the tiny eyes in the eggs

Thanks guys. But i have another question/concern
Is it normal for my clown to be getting ready to lay eggs again and the old eggs have not yet hatched.? Are the old eggs dead already?
I see the tiny eyes in the eggs

Hey, Julio, you know... I don't know one person in our club who has actually raised baby clownfish. Like, gone beyond, "My clownfish laid eggs. They hatched, and then were eaten (or died)."

No offensive to anyone here, but, you really should be asking these questions of real, live, successful breeders.

In July I posted about going to a conference up in Michigan on breeding marine fish. The group, and the forum, is called Marine Breeders Initiative (MBI). And the web site is: http://www.mbisite.org/

Join the forum, read the past threads, and then ask your questions. This is a great bunch of people who will be all too happy to help you. Good luck, and I hope you will be the first in our club to bring baby clowns to our auctions!

George
--

Yes it is normal for her to start the ritual of dancing and shaking(electric bugaloo i call it, lol) and for her belly to look swollen even before the eggs hatch. She's on a routine and this can last for months.... as long as everything is ideal. The minute things change... she'll stop for about a month.
See the silver in the eyes... they are about due anytime now. From a non expert and unsucessful breeder hobbyist. No offensive taken George. :)

--snippage--
...From a non expert and unsucessful breeder hobbyist. No offensive taken George. :)

Yeah, well... then get it on, abulelo! Rotifers shmotifers... copepods shmopipods... brine shrimp... phytoplankton... blah, blah, blah! LOL I want to see some grandchildren!

George
--

HOLY COW!! George posted twice in one day!! Wooooo HOOO!!! LOL! It will get done soon enough buddy. A yr already... remember your the one whom started this whole culturing mess! You had the 1st batch of rotifers! HAHAHAHA See ya soon buddy! Love Ya! Tell R I said hello..

Lol thanks for the reply George and Noel. Not really sure if I want to start raising these lil guys. It seems very difficult and time consuming from what I am reading. Maybe in time I will. My clown laid eggs yesterday after posting. They are right next to the old batch of eggs. Lets see what happens with both these batches :)

Back