Clown Tang?

Dwb859

I have a 150 gallon tank, extra high, which means the tank is 4 foot in length, 2 foot wide, 30 inches high. Would this be large enough for small 3" clown tang? My tank currently has (3) 2.5" small purple tangs, 2 clown fish and 1 cleaner wrasse. The tank isn't filled but half way with live rock to give swimming room. The tangs seems to get along pretty well, they have been in the tank for at least 10 months. I know I couldn't get away with a yellow tang (tried it):sad1:, but the clown tang has a different body shape. Let me know. :)

The purple and clown would have a hay day with each other. I would advise against adding a clown tang to any tank IMO. They are just downright mean and will chase others to their death

The purple and clown would have a hay day with each other. I would advise against adding a clown tang to any tank IMO. They are just downright mean and will chase others to their death

Thanks for the honest answer. I've seen them in the store and they seem some what hyper like the achilles tang but they are nice looking. What tank mates are good for my tank, it has a good amount of coral? I really like tangs.

You might have a problem adding any tang with 3 established purples in there. A clown would be a very poor choice, IMO they are the worst tang as far as aggresion. MAybe get rid of a purple and put in 2 new tangs at the same time.

I have a 150 gallon tank, extra high, which means the tank is 4 foot in length, 2 foot wide, 30 inches high. Would this be large enough for small 3" clown tang? My tank currently has (3) 2.5" small purple tangs, 2 clown fish and 1 cleaner wrasse. The tank isn't filled but half way with live rock to give swimming room. The tangs seems to get along pretty well, they have been in the tank for at least 10 months. I know I couldn't get away with a yellow tang (tried it):sad1:, but the clown tang has a different body shape. Let me know. :)

i too once managed to get 3 purple tangs being together in my 200G...after first couple of weeks,they settled with each other...but 6 montyh down the line and suddenly fight started until one purple became totally helpless..i had to separate all three...put that injured in my reef and kept the biggest one...sold the other...

i think your purple tangs are small,hence still tolerating each other...once they grow up,the battle will eventually begin...150G is too small for 3...

considering the length of your tank,even one purple and one clown tang won't go on well i fear...

I would say with a 4' tank you are maxed out on tangs. I would also be surprised if the harmony you see now with the purples lasts long term.

I knew I ran the chance of them not getting along down the road but we will see. I have caught one before I can catch another. They just look so nice together.

How does 1 purple tang tolerate 1 yellow tang? Just thinking of my opinions down the road if I can't keep all 3 purples together. I could go with one small purple 1 medium yellow or vise versa. I also like the white tail bristletooth tang.

ive kept two, i wouldn't reccomend at all with a purple tang. Wouldn't be worried about the tank size so much as the tank mates.

Sorry man :(

I've tried two different Clown Tangs with no success! My bully was a Scopas Tang, and despite being smaller than the Clowns, they were still punked to death!

I kept my clown tang in a 180 with a couple other tangs for about 3 years. Lets just say he's no longer in the tank. The definately hit a "mature" stage and like to keep everything in the tank hiding. He's now swimming in a 25,000g shark tank at a local aquarium.

A little better spot for him :)

I finally had to get rid of the 3 purple tangs (6+ hours of fishing), the largest one was beating up on the others pretty bad. I've now learned not to ask the fish shop what fish will get along. I'm going to try getting a different purple tang and put him with a yellow tang at the same time. I know they are the same kind of tang so I'm hoping that putting them in the tank at the same time will work out. Any thoughts on this?

I finally had to get rid of the 3 purple tangs (6+ hours of fishing), the largest one was beating up on the others pretty bad. I've now learned not to ask the fish shop what fish will get along. I'm going to try getting a different purple tang and put him with a yellow tang at the same time. I know they are the same kind of tang so I'm hoping that putting them in the tank at the same time will work out. Any thoughts on this?

Good luck.

I'd bet my last dollar the yellow and purple will fight. It might not be the minute you put them in the next day or week. But they WILL fight eventually.

It's really just a shot in the dark, Maybe they will get along maybe they won't. I had purples over the years that were just nasty. The most recent one I had must have had some kind of identity issue, It ran from anything and everything for 3 years, He went to a 450 as it outgrew my tank.

the way i look at it. you know eventually [edited: = trouble will happen.]

just sayin...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a clown with a purple and powder blue for 3 years together. I've had my clown for over 4 years, it is 9", powder blue is close to 7", purple tang got ich and in the HT died. For reference, the clown trigger is 9.5" exact. These photos were to show off the clown trigger, not the tang. But to answer your question, you could grow one in there for a while, but at the 4" mark should be in a much longer tank.

picture.php

picture.php

Back