Co2 vs Skimmer in a Seagrass Tank

[17]shawn[17]

Hey Everyone, I am in the process of converting my 20gal Long Frag tank into a Seagrass tank. im working on ridding some GHA before I add the new 3" oolite sandbed...

Once I have seagrass planted I would like to setup a CO2 dosing system, either a diffuser or inject it into a powerhead... this got me thinking about another issue, being an old frag tank I have a pretty large skimmer on this tank (Bubble Magnus curve 5) so am I correct to say any CO2 I inject to the display will just get driven off in the sump/skimmer? would I be better off injecting my CO2 into the skimmer?

why have a skimmer in a seagrass tank?

Inject carbon dioxide into a calcium reactor, then you get carbon and calcium both grow seagrass. Macro content C:N:p is 560:30:1

That sounds like a cool tank!

I don't think you should run CO2 through a skimmer, which would try to export it. Skimmer isn't helpful for a seagrass tank, in effect competing with them for nutrients. Seagrass can work in low nutrient conditions, but grow slower. So if you really want to skim, go for it. I've been running CO2 through a cannister filter with good results. A powerhead might work. Or a calcium reactor, as Monsieur Castille said.

Makes sense thanks guys! I guess I really don’t need a skimmer! It’s hard to get my mind away from the mindset of a reef tank. I like the idea of Co2 in some sort of a “reactor” maybe I’ll play around with some of my old equipment and see what I can create!

Back