Coast to Coast 75 gallon

fiftyfive

Hey all,

I am about to start on a coast to coast for a new tank build and i am having a dilemma; I was recommended using an "angled" style with one piece as opposed to the "box" style that we are all familiar with.

L| <-- box style side view

\| <--angled style side view

The bulkheads are drilled and bottoms about 5" from the top of the tank.

I will be using glass 47 3/8" long by possibly 9" to create an angled version that would have about a 2" to 3" space at the top from the back glass.

I was wondering if anyone had done this or has opinions regarding this method of making the coast to coast construction.

I considered the "angled stile" on my tank. Finally decided not to because I would have had to make the glass piece 12" high in order to make enough room at the top for a 1 1/2" gurglebuster. In the end, I'm happy with my "box".

will you be able to get the bulkheads out once you put the glass in? what if they leak. i made mine so i could get the fittings and bulkheads out. bulkheads leak sometimes and i would not want to tear an overflow out just to replace a bulkhead

The box design works better with pvc 90-deg elbow placement and maintenance, as well as bulkhead maintenance if it ever came to it.

For the angled design, while it looks better, the top of the overflow will have to stick much farther out into the tank in order to properly use 90-deg elbows.

The elbows help reduce noise, but if you don't use them, then the angled version may be a better choice, depending on your needs.

I had a tank set up with the "box" style and i used to get air trapped underneath it. If i ever did it this way again, i would use the "angle" approach.

Thanks all,

It was recommended as to avoid bubbles and lighting shadows which may occur when it builds coraline.

Wont be using the 90s but will want some room at the top for cleaning and fish removal. I would also be using gutter-wire to avoid my fish from taking the sump roller coaster. (Coast to Coaster?)

I was also thinking about using a lot of silly-con to make sure the acute inside angle was filled to avoid build up and allow good circulation along the trough. This would also serve to make a definate and overkilled seal with the tank.

At the very worst, I would have to half drain the tank should the bulk heads cause issues and then tear the c2c out to repair. As it would be one piece only it seems less hassle to perform and replace since it would be required either way.

Any additional opinions or thoughts? I think I may go with the angle after all!

60772DSCN0866.JPG

Stu

I prefer the box type and have no problem with the little bit of air that gets trapped under it. If I were to do it again, it would be an external box, of course still implementing my silent & fail-safe overflow design.

Ahh you mean routing the back glass for the external overflow :)

I think guy and I might have discussed that before he did it... or it may have been another thread and somebody else. Anyway, yes... but I would likely build a custom glass or plywood tank and leave the back panel shorter to create the overflow weir.

Well howdy y'all! Got some updates that may intrest. I went ahead with the angled coast to coast on my new 75!

It actually looks really good and I think it will be perfect once the concept was put to function. I will of course need to fill it up to gather the information and details about that, but I did take the step and so far I am happy. All else fails, I get the razor out and put the "box" on.

Thanks to the guys at Ottawa Inverts for the installation of the concept. They did a great job!

Uploading some simple pics I took before leaving for work. Ill get better shots later if you want.

Here they are:

2787431610_23b8cc27dc.jpg

2786575147_30e45c9d42.jpg

2787431534_3de6b90310.jpg

2787431486_0f35ed4e5e.jpg

2786575043_18d41125bc.jpg

2787427670_6196c7291b.jpg

Here is the tank it will be replacing. (40 gallons). The 40 will become the sump!

check out the tunze "elaztic" mods!

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to put a coast to coast in my tank. I was going to do the box style but now I'm thinking I like the angled look. However I still want to top to be far enough out from the tank to be able to replace the bulkhead if needed. I'm thinking of combining these two styles....

L| <-- box style side view

\| <--angled style side view

to something like this.
| |
\| angled box style.

This would give the bottom of the box an angle to prevent bubbles from being traped under the box and hopefull help it blend in.

What do you think?

I figure, if you need to replace the bulkheads, you are in more trouble then not and I'd be prepared to remove the whole C2C if that was the case. So I am happy with the decision I made at this time. The actual opening at the top is only around 2" - 3" from the back wall.

Any detri that builds up can be cleaned using a turkey baster if need be. Or just run a siphon hose to the sump. I may still run a thick bead of silly in there to make the bottom less acute, but for now I am happy with the results.

Time will tell the tale.

As for your idea, I had thought of making two angled pieces as well, but to actually line them up and get them level would be a lot of work, and you would lose out on the benefit of the added "lighting" real-estate and the shadows that would be created.

This may sound like a dumb question but couldnt I put in a coast to coast without drilling my tank? sorta like make a big hob overflow

As someone who has been running the box style for over 9 months now...

Twelve things I have learned about C2C overflows:

1. If you have enough flow, bubbles do not collect under the overflow.
2. You do not need the box to be that large. Bulkheads can be cut down.
3. Add more bulkheads than you think you need. You can always cap them off.
4. If your tank is not PERFECTLY level, C2C's do not work.
5. Make sure your tank is PERFECTLY level.
6. Do not sit your tank on carpet as this will give a little in time and make the 3 1/2 hours it took you to get it perfectly level a total waste of time.
7. The use of Gutter Guard only makes it harder to get the fish out of the overflow, after they figure out how to get around it somehow.
8. Algae grows like crazy in a C2C.
9. A very large snail can scare the crap out of you by "Walking" over one of the bulkheads.
10. My next tank will have external C2C for all of the above reasons.
11. Always listen to BeanAnimal.

Lastly, the angled ones are not very attractive...IMO.

Back