collecting in Oregon

ksrinlv

I know I've seen information posted on this but cannot find it now for the life of me. I volunteer at a school that maintains a coldwater tank. They would like to collect some animals for their tank in Oregon, I just wanted to verify what's legal in this area. Do they need a fishing license? Is anything restricted? I've found the Oregon Fish & Wildlife website and regs but it's hard to determine how it applies to our hobby. Thanks for any information!!

I've done some more reading in the official regs - it's legal to take 10 total per day of starfish, urchins, snails, shore crabs and other marine inverts not specifically referenced (mostly crab & clams). They're listed under the shellfish section, so it looks to me like a shellfish license will do the trick if we're not collecting fish. Am I missing anything??

you may need a permit to transport it (though that might be just for commercial harvests)... also, some species have special regulations ("developmental fisheries" species)-- i'd review those laws as well

You could also try emailing or calling Oregon Fish & Wildlife directly. There might be someone there with prior experience in this area. There might not, but it's worth a shot.

Back