Conflicting info on red sea nopox

flchevygrl

Boyfriend went into 1 of our lfs to ask about this hair algea.
Its not like the typical brown hair algea. its more stringie.
they recommended using the red sea nopox. we arent running a skimmer and the instructions say you must run a skimmer. but lfs says a skimmer isnt nessaccary (i know i mispelled that) that we can use the nopox without a skimmer.
So my question is can we honestly use the nopox without having a skimmer on the tank? we have gotten bad info from them before when we first setup our tank a yr ago. So we have learned to take what they say with a grain of salt.
they told us we didn't have to acclimate corals that we can just drop them in tank. no floating as well. Needless to to I acclimated them.

thanks in advance...

I will snap a quick pic of the algea and post up here as well

You should have a skimmer if you're using nopox as it feeds the bacteria which feeds on inorganic nutrients turning them into organics that can be skimmed out.

Without the skimmer it'll just be recycled..

cdf7472e7ff19e01ed9b89d7bbb41b5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dont know why he went to that one...I thought he would have went to the clean store...hehehe
We have 3 stores here in sarasota...but 1 store is dirty, another store gives bad advice, and then you have the nice store. Which is where i thought he would go to.

And the bad advice store they gave bad advice because they hate frag shows...so they got bent cause we got our frags from shows vs them. the guy in there clearly stated that frags shows are gonna put them out of business. and people go to these shows buys frags and then comes in to them to ask advice...and feels like why should they give advice when you didnt buy from them. I couldnt believe i was hearing this coming straight out of his mouth in the store when there was about 3 customers there.

Algae consumes nutrients. No nutrients, Algae has to compete and usually will recede. You really need a skimmer to pull organics. Might want to use some carbon and phosphate remover in the form of small reactor or bags in sump area that are agitated daily. Get back to basics for algae control. That is low nitrates and phosphates and stable parameters. You need to have algae under control (ie; nutrients) before you can really gain success in the reef. I have fought algae for years and sometimes never know exactly why, but I have also found, algae free...... usually things go better.

Get a skimmer. Don't go to that lfs to get it either. Stop running no pox till after skimmer. I would do a couple largish water changes in the mean time. Again don't get your water from that store either as there water might not be filtered well and it could be causing the algae problem or atleast adding to it. If I had to buy water from a lfs I would only buy if they showed me the tds meter on there rodi outlet reading. It needs to be zero not 2, But if u have your own rodi system make sure the water is coming out with zero.

skimmer also oxygenates the water. several people have had tank crashes from the nopox causing bacterial blooms then the water getting stripped of oxygen. a skimmer is almost a must when using nopox (ive never used it but was really close to using it and did alot of research on peoples feedback) i chose to not use it solely because i wanted to learn how to combat my issue by upping my tank husbandry instead of relying on a product to do it for me. everyone has their own route they like to take and many use nopox on a daily basis. but please as many suggested, get a skimmer, they do wonders.

I didnt use nopox in the tank once i read a skimmer is a must. A rodi system is next on the upgrade list...i did order a tds meter to use on the water we get from lfs. And will be testing the lfs's water til we get the rodi. Looking at skimmers over the weekend.

I didnt use nopox in the tank once i read a skimmer is a must. A rodi system is next on the upgrade list...i did order a tds meter to use on the water we get from lfs. And will be testing the lfs's water til we get the rodi. Looking at skimmers over the weekend.

Do u buy salt water or rodi water? The tds meter will only work on fresh water not salt water just so u know. Also it's not as accurate to measure in container. The container can have containment that will give a higher reading. So keep that in mind also

We buy both from lfs...yeah was aware tds only measures fresh not saltwater. Did pick up a brute can to start getting just rodi and will start mixing our own saltwater. Until we can get our own rodi setup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What sort of lights are you running, and for how long? Skimming, phosphate reducer pads (some require pre-rinsing-double check!!), and carbon should help. Really bad algae can be vacuumed and then gently scrubbed off (outside of the tank). Peroxide treatments might be worth reading about too, but those scare me a bit. I've blacked my 90g out for 3 days to help w an algae bloom that left me w green water, and it helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a lfs here in sarasota not tampa...wished we lived in tampa seems like theres more decent ones there than here...

He's running a pair of ai primes over the tank. I believe hes got a 14hr cycle...
Hes not running any white lights, green, or red. As for phosphates its .5 or 1 depending on who looks at the color chart...hehehe
He does have a carbon bag in the hob filter. (marineland 350)
He did pickup a aqueon refugium/sump I think its model 100 or 200 and it come with a i wanna say a cpr overflow...he just needs to get a return pump and the pvc to hook it up.
And we were told to keep running the hob for a month even after hooking up the overflow and sump...

We have only been messing with saltwater tanks since last march so we are still some what clueless. Still getting our feet wet.

Back