Considering selling my reef tank...Advice?

BlackTip

I am considering selling my thriving 325g reef tank. I am getting into new hobby, and I rather allocate my time and resources there. I don't want to break it down. I want to find a new home for everything. I will keep it otherwise.

I posted it on craigslist, and there wasn't any interest for the whole system. Any advice on how to find a new home?

Here is a video I took several month ago.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.27%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZyME4pr7DoE?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:70%;height:70%;left:0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Facebook is generally a much more active platform for classifieds than craigslist is. Craigslist is all but dead for this hobby, in my area anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yes on face book, and ask all lfs in your area to try and sell it for a commission. Something that big, a lfs could get a sell on a new tank setup and move your system into it, filters, livestock and all. That's way better than waiting to break in new.
Good luck, I got a really nice oceanic 120 with gorgeous stand canopy I cant get rid of.

ya.... don't, you will regret it like everyone else I've met that has sold their tank. especially one like yours

You'll be back. If not you have to seriously deep discount it or part it out. We reefers only love good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently trying to sell my 65 gallon reef tank set up, and got a few responses, but nothing serious. I'm now listed at only $200 for a full set up and still having trouble finding anyone interested. I think the trouble is most people getting into the hobby don't consider looking for used set ups, and people that are already in the hobby typically don't want to buy a full set up unless doing an upgrade much larger than their existing set up. I bought a 150 gallon tank and set it up a couple months ago in hopes of recouping some of the cost by selling my 65g, but that's looking pretty bleak. Feels like I'm giving it away for what I'm including in the sale. For now it's just sitting in my garage tying up cash I had hoped to use on my new tank. Unfortunately, I Think it's just going to be a waiting game.

Most people in the hobby do not want a full setup...plain and simple. Where is the fun in that? Your setup is also tailored to your liking.

I have been in and out of the hobby for 25 years. Clean the tank and equipment and part it out. No one is going to buy it all. If your rock is old and you can't get anymore, keep it. Everything else upgrades.

Back