Contemplating skimmer and return upgrade for 60

OceanJack

So my birthday :celeb3: is coming up soon and I am going to use that as an excuse as normal folks would call it to upgrade or replace certain things on their reef tanks.

I purchased a 60 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump about 8 months ago, so far everything is working along good. It came with a Mag 7 return pump and ASM Mini-G skimmer.

So far I've got about 5 fish and it's medium stocked I would say. But the Mag 7 was having some issues restarting and sounds like it could use a new impeller.

My needs are something reliable, cost friendly under $300,700-800 gph flow and wants but not necessary-controllable.

for the Skimmer, it is skimming along good so far. Pulling dark skimmate and I have no complaints with it, emptying every 4-5 days.

Should I even bother upgrading the skimmer? If I do, I need something with a smallish footprint for the sump. I know it's rated for 75 gallons but it does not specify whether light/medium or heavily stocked which I would doubt..

I just would like a cost effective and easy to tune skimmer that would handle my 8 fish bioload, I am a heavy feeder as well. would like cost to be under $300 as well.

Any recommendations?

I did see the Jebao return pumps but I am very skeptical on the reliability of those....

Check out Reef Octopus varios 2 or 4 for some future usability. I've been using the older RODC version almost 3 years, very reliable and super easy to clean.

That one definitely caught my eye, the pricing is great and reviews as well.

For the protein skimmer, i think the Eshopps X-120 might be on my to buy list. Any one have any luck with that skimmer?

Quite frankly, if your skimmer is pulling out nice dark gunk, why bother changing it? The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

I have a reef octopus DC return pump running 3 years now. Love the ability to change the flow. I just got a new skimmer, a bubble magus curve elite... it is awesome. If your skimmer is working though I wouldn't worry about it. As for the jebao dc pumps... I had one running on my old skimmer for years no issue, still works today just not using now but I have had no issues with it. I would say its worth a shot.

Back