Continuous feeding NPS filter feeders

I was using chilled RO/DI water (I still use RO/DI water for the fridge method for defrosting the frozen foods).

IMO saltwater would be better if the feeds are marine sourced.

wait im confused. First you said not to chill foods in saltwater (as it would lead to the degradation of the product), and then after uhuru said he was using chilled RODI water you said he should use saltwater?
can you explain further? Im trying to learn as much as possible about feeding NPS corals before I acquire any
thanks so much

wait im confused. First you said not to chill foods in saltwater (as it would lead to the degradation of the product), and then after uhuru said he was using chilled RODI water you said he should use saltwater?
can you explain further? Im trying to learn as much as possible about feeding NPS corals before I acquire any
thanks so much
IMO

*IF*
one feels the need to use the chilled water method, and is planning on using a marine based animal, using saltwater is better then freshwater. I don't recommend using the method.

Oh okay, so you recommend feeding only foods that can be stored at room temperature, as chilling marine foods can cause nutritional degradation?
What method do you use/recommend to feed Gresham?

Gresham means that marine-based feeds (ie frozen brine, prawn ova, etc.) spoil quickly even in chilled water (worse in freshwater because there is an ionic imbalance). Chilling the water would be better than room temp water, but still not great. The best choice would be to add the food to the tank immediately after it is thawed, but this isn't an easy option for continuous feeding.

Oh okay, so you recommend feeding only foods that can be stored at room temperature, as chilling marine foods can cause nutritional degradation?
What method do you use/recommend to feed Gresham?
I would be out of a job if I made such assertions, I work in the refrigerated marine feed business :lol: The method I would use would entail using Reef Nutrition feeds in a refrigerator and using the Steve Weast style plumbing as explained in this thread... but I would add the venturis :D

Aninjatemyshoe explained below

Gresham means that marine-based feeds (ie frozen brine, prawn ova, etc.) spoil quickly even in chilled water (worse in freshwater because there is an ionic imbalance). Chilling the water would be better than room temp water, but still not great. The best choice would be to add the food to the tank immediately after it is thawed, but this isn't an easy option for continuous feeding.

Exactly :)

I would be out of a job if I made such assertions, I work in the refrigerated marine feed business :lol: The method I would use would entail using Reef Nutrition feeds in a refrigerator and using the Steve Weast style plumbing as explained in this thread... but I would add the venturis :D

Aninjatemyshoe explained below

Exactly :)

Ohh okay now i get it :rollface:
Thank you Gresham and aninjatemyshoe

Is the Danny Dame recipe from page one still a good choice, or has some variation proven to work out better?

I know you posted another recipe, but no amounts/proportions or mixing info of the ingredients.

Last edited:
That is the recipe of Danny Dames I was referring to. It has the most detailed info on mixing & amounts I've been able to find. Fauna Marin still has not put out there nps feeding manual. So I was wondering if that recipe was the best place to start, or if some variation has been found to be better?

I'm about to start a build thread, but the short answers would be gorgonians, & carnation type corals mostly. I am self employed & home a lot so my plan is to feed manually many times a day. I'm thinking alternating frozen mini cubes of a FM mix & several dif kinds of liquid & dry foods.
Thanks
Jim

You can do a modified version of that for cubes:

"¢3/8 tsp frozen cyclopeeze
"¢3/8 tsp Fauna Marin UltraLife
"¢3/8 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra MinF
"¢3/8 tsp FM Ultra Sea Fan
"¢3/8 tsp FM Ultra Clam
"¢2.5ml FM's MinS
freeze them and feed the Reef Nutrition foods seperate.

One thing that I do is make Pac cubes by themselves. I make a tray or two of the cubes and keep them in a freezer bag. You can then use the Pac whatever way you want or if you dont mind leaving it out on the table (not freezing it) you can do that as well.

That seems similar & simpler recipe. I assume you are mixing these & let them set in refrigerator over nite then freezing?

And by Pac cubes do you mean Ultra Pac mix like Dannys recipe but just not mixing the two of them together for some reason?

That seems similar & simpler recipe. I assume you are mixing these & let them set in refrigerator over nite then freezing?

I mix the Pac in a magic bullet blender. Let it sit, once it is clear and no clumps, mix all the foods then freeze.

And by Pac cubes do you mean Ultra Pac mix like Dannys recipe but just not mixing the two of them together for some reason?

Correct. Dont be afraid to experiment. Example: couple cubes of Pac with Oysterfeast, Shelfish Diet, Rotifeast direct feed to a Dendronephthya. You see how that particular coral likes it then adjust the feed as needed. More witchcraft than science ;)

OK thanks for your input! I figure the more I can learn about this up front the less chance of torturing the livestock later.

If any one else has an extra 2 cents they would like to add feel free.

Danny Dame has stated that most of his Dendronephthya shrunk and withered away over an 8 month period. We don't know whether this is natural, a result of inappropriate nutrition, or simply insufficient quantities of food. Like Aquabacs said, don't be afraid to experiment, but please share whatever you do and learn with the rest of us so that we can continue to build on it. Also keep in mind there may be species differences. What works for one may not work for the other. You see Dendronephthya everywhere from arctic waters, to temperate reefs, to tropical coral reefs right next to SPS where they may be exposed to the air and hot sun for prolonged periods, and to mangrove lagoons growing right on mangrove branches.

Back