Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split

Fish stocking question...

Fish stocking question...

I have to say this is the finest looking tank I've ever seen. You have done what many of us can only dream of achieving. I downloaded your Eye Candy videos and burned them to DVD (in order) for the purpose of watching them on the big tv when I get bored. As it turns out, I usually watch it every sunday morning (after I get my large iced coffee) while sitting in my favorite chair. I must thank you for making these videos available for us all to enjoy, I know that I certainly enjoy watching them.

The next time you stop by this thread I hope you could answer a few questions for me about your tank and it's inhabitants.

First, Do you have any plans to do another series of videos from the back side of the tank? If you do, this member is definitely going to watch them over and over. :thumbsup:

Second, while I believe I have seen the stocking list, I can't seem to find the name of the single green fish that wanders around the tank picking at the substrate. What kind of fish is that? It has become my favorite fish in the tank, along with the little pink/orange fish that hangs out under a lower ledge peeking out at the camera.

Lastly, approximately how many pounds of reef salts do you consume in a year with a tank this size?

Thanks in advance for any questions answered and thank you for building such a magnificent tank. It has truly given me many hours of television viewing enjoyment.

I have to say that it is posts like this that increase my guilt for not posting more often. I apologize. Life just seems to get in the way not to mention a fair amount of golf not to mention the occasional game of league nine ball. I'm glad you are enjoying the Eye Candy videos as they actually took some time to produce. I actually found some fish behaviour that was captured on video that I haven't seen in the flesh.

The prospect of more videos is still a possibility but I am in the process of restocking the tank as I lost virtually all my SPS which as you can imagine was a considerable part of the reef composition. I am allowing a long period of dormancy before I reintroduce any more colonies as we are still not sure what combination of factors conspired to threaten the SPS.
I have been starting to acquire some SPS colonies in the fish room tanks and have decided to follow a strict protocol of six to nine months quarantine before restocking the display tank.

This discipline has worked exceptionally well for the fish and I should have been following the same practice for my coral.

That single green fish which I call 'the green wrasse' was less than an inch from nose to tail and incredibly skinny when I got him. To be honest I will have to ask Mr. Wilson for the proper name. We got the fish as it was alleged to consume flat worms which were a concern at the time. He is now at least 4 inches long and very fat and still very very green. He is always picking at the reef and substrate day and night.

Again I will have to ask Mr. Wilson for the name of the pink/orange fish you referred to as he is my encyclopedic reference for the proper identification of most of the wildlife in the tank.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of salt but its substantial. We try and mix in roughly 150 gal per week. Thats an average as sometime its a bit more and sometimes less. If you add in another 100 gal per month for the fish room tanks it should give you about 700 gal a month.

Fortunately my RO DI system gives me 200 gal per day so I'm able to keep up........Although I haven't measured I think I am going through 40/50 gal of RO DI per day for top off of all the various tanks. We have just last week rebuilt the RODI system from scratch taking into account all that we have learned in the last three or four years. I am very pleased with the results. Good water at 000 PPM is the foundation for everything we do in this hobby so its one area I am always obsessed about.

Again thank you for your generous comments and I will endeavour to try and give more frequent updates in the near future...........

Peter

Peter, keep the thread going. Perhaps you can treat us all with some photos or dare I say it, a video? Even if the tank is not at its best, I am sure we will all get a kick out of it.

Your system is a great blueprint for the rest of us. Maybe just on a smaller scale. I copied and pasted numerous posts and stuck them in a file labeled [Tank Wisdom] for future reference. I plan on stealing some techniques from your [think tank].
I've really got the itch for a BIG system of my own,:artist: but lack of funding, and weight bearing floors seem to conspire against me.

Now, where to put that BIG Dt, and BIG coral grow-out, and BIG sump, and BIG refugium, and, and, and?:hmm4:

Thanks Peter.
Daniel. :bigeyes:

Been following your thread and videos for a while now, still haven"t gotten thru all the posts but keep working on it.I find your tank inspiring, I especially like that you pay tribute to others that you admire with sections named for them. I will chime in and ask you to keep updating as I think keeping a system going long term is incredibly hard to do successfully and large tanks accelerate the learning curve so we all learn faster. I appreciate your time and efforts, thanks for sharing.

great job, what a tank. When I retire, I plan my basement around a) massive tank, b) home theater and c) wet bar

I know what direction my tank will take after rooting through all the details on your tank Peter. Definitely takes some planning...

You really show your passion for a reefkeeping hobby,Peter.....and why not.We all have 1 life to live,so,live it at the most.Btw,there is also a guy from North America that set-up 20,000 gallon reef tank in his home and he did most of the set-up by himself and maintains it too.Here's the link and hope you'll forgive me for posting it in your thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ1B9s9j0Is

Last edited:
This guy lives just down the road from me. Not exactly sure where though.
I would love to see this tank:bounce3::bounce3:
Daniel. :wildone:

I'm just coming across this build and have spent the last few hours scouring both threads. This is truly a masterpiece and an amazing piece of nature and art all in one. Great job! I admire your patience and attention to detail. Completely... Flawless. Cheers!

Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split

Hey Peter. Everything is cyclical, including my following of your thread. I see you have slowed a bit in its update as well. But fortunately (for both of us) life has continued behind the scenes :).

First, I hope that Judy is doing as well as possible. Secondly, reefing, pool, and golf as well?? 3 fine hobbies that don't eat up much time [emoji16]. I think we may be related [emoji106]. I hope that you checked out "The Mosconi Cup" in which the U.S. Lost to the Europeans yesterday :(. In January, I will be traveling to Indiana to play in the Derby City Classic.

The tank that your thread inspired me to start 2 years ago is doing well (cyclical of course) but the important thing is to continue enjoying, fighting, and learning as you are as well.

Be well, my friend. Your family is in my thoughts.

Mitch

Last edited:
Hey Peter. Everything is cyclical, including my following of your thread. I see you have slowed a bit in its update as well. But fortunately (for both of us) life has continued behind the scenes :).

First, I hope that Judy is doing as well as possible. Secondly, reefing, pool, and golf as well?? 3 fine hobbies that don't eat up much time [emoji16]. I think we may be related [emoji106]. I hope that you checked out "The Mosconi Cup" in which the U.S. Lost to the Europeans yesterday :(. In January, I will be traveling to Indiana to play in the Derby City Classic.

The tank that your thread inspired me to start 2 years ago is doing well (cyclical of course) but the important thing is to continue enjoying, fighting, and learning as you are as well.

Be well, my friend. Your family is in my thoughts.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch and you are right on all counts......life moves on. The tank is still a major feature in my daily routine. In fact this weekend I have agreed to take all the fish and coral from a fellow aquarist who no longer wishes to carry on in the hobby. It is a 600 gal display so Mr. Wilson and I have a busy day on Sat.

I recently played in the Border Battle in Niagara .......didn't win but enjoyed the experience immensely. I find the nervous energy of playing in sanctioned tournaments to be a real aid in raising my game.

Judy is finally making progress on the health front and life is good in that sense.

Golf in Canada is waaaaay to short given the climate. I don't know how the folks in the south can look us straight in the eye without feeling enormous pangs of guilt throughout winter. However I have had some great golf this year and am really looking forward to next.............

Great to hear your tank is ok and perhaps we will meet on the green or blue felt one day soon!!!!!

Peter

Thanks Mitch and you are right on all counts......life moves on. The tank is still a major feature in my daily routine. In fact this weekend I have agreed to take all the fish and coral from a fellow aquarist who no longer wishes to carry on in the hobby. It is a 600 gal display so Mr. Wilson and I have a busy day on Sat.

I recently played in the Border Battle in Niagara .......didn't win but enjoyed the experience immensely. I find the nervous energy of playing in sanctioned tournaments to be a real aid in raising my game.

Judy is finally making progress on the health front and life is good in that sense.

Golf in Canada is waaaaay to short given the climate. I don't know how the folks in the south can look us straight in the eye without feeling enormous pangs of guilt throughout winter. However I have had some great golf this year and am really looking forward to next.............

Great to hear your tank is ok and perhaps we will meet on the green or blue felt one day soon!!!!!

Peter

Great to hear about your wife!!

Substantial update!!!!!

Substantial update!!!!!

I hope to provide a substantial update in the next few days so keep an eye on the thread if you get a chance.

Peter

Back