Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching this thread for a while. I am somewhat undecided on whether this is an epic build, or epic insanity. Perhaps a little bit of both! ... Enjoy the ride as you go with this, good luck. You have planned out in exquisite detail every imaginable facet, yet, and I suppose you realize this already, but there will always be surprises (both pleasant and unpleasant). My sense of wonderment here is in anticipation of what those surprises will play out to be, over time.

One caution: You should know that people who start out in reefing, end up thinking "Boy, I wish I had gone bigger right away" or start dreaming up their upgrades after 6 months or so. :lol: I have not seen too many exceptions to this rule. So, um .. yah. Keep that upgrade box nearby at all times. ;)

Been watching this thread for a while. I am somewhat undecided on whether this is an epic build, or epic insanity. Perhaps a little bit of both! ... Enjoy the ride as you go with this, good luck. You have planned out in exquisite detail every imaginable facet, yet, and I suppose you realize this already, but there will always be surprises (both pleasant and unpleasant). My sense of wonderment here is in anticipation of what those surprises will play out to be, over time.

One caution: You should know that people who start out in reefing, end up thinking "Boy, I wish I had gone bigger right away" or start dreaming up their upgrades after 6 months or so. :lol: I have not seen too many exceptions to this rule. So, um .. yah. Keep that upgrade box nearby at all times. ;)

Washrooms on the right, drugs on the left.........Keep the line moving please!!!I seem to recall this ticket was for the roller coaster at the outset but senility keeps me from remembering how long. more later.....welcome aboard.

Peter

Perhaps we could hide a second RO/DI unit and storage tank under the stairs for one end of the tank......

0_0_20c3721a0248fb5c2a843337588a7a2f_1

Additional RO/DI unit..

I have enough other tanks planned that will provide for a long and uneventful life 'if they do their work'........
Other tanks....

Sounds like foretellings of additional large containers of salt water:lolspin::eek1:

Wow !! A really nice build !

Thank you for sharing that with us and taking time to answer all the questions and document the process as well :)

Which RO/DI unit are you going to use ? Is it an industrial one ? It probably already bought but you could take a look into the Aquaticlife power, which has an electronic device to auto-flush, and tell you went the cartouches need to be change, and a booster pump. I think the unit with two membranes is running around 600 gpd.

I'm looking at your thread a couple of time a day in case there is an update :)

Alex B

Well thanks for recommending Chingchai's thread. I just finished it and it was totally worth the read. It is absolutely amazing. I am sure if you are following his principles yours will be amazing also and I cant wait to see more. I will be around.

Wow !! A really nice build !

Thank you for sharing that with us and taking time to answer all the questions and document the process as well :)

Which RO/DI unit are you going to use ? Is it an industrial one ? It probably already bought but you could take a look into the Aquaticlife power, which has an electronic device to auto-flush, and tell you went the cartouches need to be change, and a booster pump. I think the unit with two membranes is running around 600 gpd.

I'm looking at your thread a couple of time a day in case there is an update :)

Alex B

Thanks Alex, The RO/DI archetecture is still in debate. There are two units currently planned that produce 75gpd for a total of 150. They are split into two units one for sw production and one for top off. However, I think I am severely underpowered for the inevitable peak requirements so a commercial unit is probably in my future. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it.

Peter

Its good to have La Belle Province represented!

Well thanks for recommending Chingchai's thread. I just finished it and it was totally worth the read. It is absolutely amazing. I am sure if you are following his principles yours will be amazing also and I cant wait to see more. I will be around.

Thank you for taking the time to do that. It was the most incredible experience for me to follow it every day while it was happening......I still do. I'm hoping others do as well because it will be easier to identify the other grand masters when its time to do so. I also recommend David Saxby's journey as well. There is also a number of fascinating interviews on utube with David well worth seeing if you get a chance. Finding two other candidates and discussing the relative merits in the same league as Chingchai and David is a worthwhile aspiration for all of us.

Peter

here is a website for a 1700g reef, he includes a section of what he would do differently...

http://energyreef.com/index.html

Thank you Elliott, although I was familiar with the tank the summary was extremely helpful. I did not know that RO/DI units loose 50% effeciency at temp less than 70 degrees. That's very helpful for someone who has to generate enough salt water to float the Titanic.

Peter

I just skimmed over chings thread and wow i wish i had time to read it! i hop eyour tank will look like his some day!

OK Time to go to the bear pit!!!!

0_0_83018ceced2b9afd44aebf84758b6172_1

right, I forgot it's fish, again!!!

0_0_806755e47107310282009df727f1500e_1

Wrong door, the fish room is definately not ready for prime time yet......

Moving thing around doesn't seem to help either

0_0_95a629b73dbcc8f1d3f319be301256eb_1

I have gotta clean this up before my wife sees this!!!

0_0_b608a7dae9da9c6068891a9e92ecdf41_1

This is where Chinchai's Island will be......it's eight feet wide and I just have to figure out how to capture the same rock formations with half the height. My wife still thinks this is a bookcase.

0_0_7e16febdb81243a8e90a51c6890e340b_1

as long as I can keep her from turning the corner.........

0_0_09c0fccb23832bca969de1729cc6b21c_1

Opps I forgot this side........

0_0_fb07ffed6635dfc0bd26e9ef0183329f_1

I think I better rethink this.......I'm ready for a rest......back upstairs!!!

0_0_44243ab80d2312116d6a87ee3334c893_1

I thought at one point I would have this in my tank. It's at least two hundred years old and would blend in with the rustic ambiance...........But then I started to wonder.......that was before the internet.........how could the boatmaker know all the details? There are no plans in existance for this boat, so how did this guy know? Nope, no tank for you my friend......nothing artificial. Too bad really, I kinda like the idea.......

0_0_f19040b8aa90b0925e8be14a5fae993d_1

I was thrilled to see the last batch of pictures. Kudos to your architect for sure!

I'm sure you have considered this, and again it is probably pre-mature to ask, but do you have a plan to deal with the massive humidity that your tank(s) will be throwing into your air in your newly drywalled basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back