Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subscribed to this thread a while back (on page 2!), but just had the time to go through it this morning between my break at school. Looks like an absolutely fantastic build.

But more than that, can I add that I love your philosophy on Reefkeeping?

Big or small (tank size and/or budget ;) ) we all have the ability to take a disciplined and intensive approach to create the natural wonder of the ocean. I'm looking forward to following this build as close as possible. Keep up the exceptional work!

I thought at one point I would have this in my tank. It's at least two hundred years old and would blend in with the rustic ambiance...........But then I started to wonder.......that was before the internet.........how could the boatmaker know all the details? There are no plans in existance for this boat, so how did this guy know? Nope, no tank for you my friend......nothing artificial. Too bad really, I kinda like the idea.......

0_0_f19040b8aa90b0925e8be14a5fae993d_1

Wow, that ship is amazing. I bet that painting above it is pretty sweet too. Is it my imagination or is that painting a coat rack?

Classic! :lol:

The staircase is a spectacular element and then to end with a view of this tank! WOW! :fish1:

Thank you, at some point I plan to start a thread with the heading.......

"things I told my wife about this thing before I had to tell her it was an aquarium" .

Peter

as long as I can keep her from turning the corner.........

0_0_09c0fccb23832bca969de1729cc6b21c_1

Wow...I didn't realize how you'll have viewing from both sides of that enormous tank. I like that part of the plan.

It is unfortunate that that supporting post is just not in the best spot, eh?

Keep the updates coming!

I was thrilled to see the last batch of pictures. Kudos to your architect for sure!

I'm sure you have considered this, and again it is probably pre-mature to ask, but do you have a plan to deal with the massive humidity that your tank(s) will be throwing into your air in your newly drywalled basement.

You know Cloakerpoked, I can't believe this either but you are the first to raise the issue in this thread. It certainly was/is/and will continue to be the dominant issue that accompanied me from the birth of this idea. There's allot of stuff yet to come before you will see the first cup of water or candle light go near the tank. I do have a very extensive suite of measures to ensure that the humidity and remote possibility of creeping mold long after I personally and without any aid solve the algorithm for the rubics cube. I believe thats more than 42 quintillion permutations. I will be covering that issue under the chapter "ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROLS" or why not build a house and just drop it on the great barrier reef!!!

Peter

Subscribed to this thread a while back (on page 2!), but just had the time to go through it this morning between my break at school. Looks like an absolutely fantastic build.

But more than that, can I add that I love your philosophy on Reefkeeping?

Big or small (tank size and/or budget ;) ) we all have the ability to take a disciplined and intensive approach to create the natural wonder of the ocean. I'm looking forward to following this build as close as possible. Keep up the exceptional work!

The energizing thing about this journey are those rare moments when you realize that someone actually reads this stuff. I am humbled, thanks Mike.

Peter

Wow, that ship is amazing. I bet that painting above it is pretty sweet too. Is it my imagination or is that painting a coat rack?

Actually you are close.....sort of......I think it was originally to hold your quiver of arrows so the dogs wouldn't chew on them!!! The artwork is a tapestry of dubious age.

Peter

Wow...I didn't realize how you'll have viewing from both sides of that enormous tank. I like that part of the plan.

It is unfortunate that that supporting post is just not in the best spot, eh?

Keep the updates coming!

great observation untamed. It's almost fifty feet of unbroken seascape (I rounded up(48ft) because its easier to say and it sound so cool!). The exciting challenge will be to plan both sides differently enough to warrant the extra work. The island architecture will lend itself to that approach I hope. You guys and gals will be the judge(s). Gals, did I just say gals? Thank god my wife doesn't use a computer. Even then I'm safe because she wouldn't read this anyway.

The post boss, the post!!!! I thought of hiring a team of graduate students to come up with a plausible reason to have that post where it is. Then I figured I'd save some money for fish food and just make something up. Well its been a year now and I don't have anything to offer except the darn thing just had to be there to keep the floor away from the ceiling, or at least that is what my architect told me. I will however eventually come up with some strategy to integrate it somehow into the context and environment. How about a periscope??? OK, OK an intentional web cam stand then.........
When I'm ready for it I will pose the question to the general audience but in the interim lets just pretend it isn't there........just don't tell anybody eh?

Peter

Peter did you realize that you have best of both worlds. A reef Tank and a indoor saltwater pool. Everything is looking amazing with all that your doing.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter. This is the best thread I've ever read.
I love the way you tell the story, not to mention all nice pictures.
Please keep up your excellent work.

P.S. I try to figure out what is your occupation. Is it anything related to antique or maybe real estate? :spin2:

great observation untamed. It's almost fifty feet of unbroken seascape (I rounded up(48ft) because its easier to say and it sound so cool!). The exciting challenge will be to plan both sides differently enough to warrant the extra work. The island architecture will lend itself to that approach I hope. You guys and gals will be the judge(s). Gals, did I just say gals? Thank god my wife doesn't use a computer. Even then I'm safe because she wouldn't read this anyway.

The post boss, the post!!!! I thought of hiring a team of graduate students to come up with a plausible reason to have that post where it is. Then I figured I'd save some money for fish food and just make something up. Well its been a year now and I don't have anything to offer except the darn thing just had to be there to keep the floor away from the ceiling, or at least that is what my architect told me. I will however eventually come up with some strategy to integrate it somehow into the context and environment. How about a periscope??? OK, OK an intentional web cam stand then.........
When I'm ready for it I will pose the question to the general audience but in the interim lets just pretend it isn't there........just don't tell anybody eh?

Peter

I think it is in fact Untamed who has a shallow ledge/table around his tank. The finished look and functionality of it is incredible.

Seeing this post near the tank made me think of his setup. Why not add a nicely finished 2"x12" rim around three sides of that post to act as a sort of bar table. A couple of tall stools and you have a nice place for a couple people to set drinks and enjoy the view. As an alternative with purpose in mind, you could build a nice shallow cabinet around it or around a few sides (floor to ceiling) to store dry goods such as food or supplies.

I am really looking forward to this thread as it progresses. You are off to an incredible start on what promises to be a very spectacular system! Keep the pics coming! I am subscribed!

Peter. This is the best thread I've ever read.
I love the way you tell the story, not to mention all nice pictures.
Please keep up your excellent work.

P.S. I try to figure out what is your occupation. Is it anything related to antique or maybe real estate? :spin2:

Nope, my background is extremely eclectic but my most recent activity was in the software domain.

Thank you for the generous compliments. I hope it is worthwhile as you have been my mentor and you have set a very very high standard.

I hope that you are in a safe and secure environment as our news channels are very taken with events in your country and you are a very important part of this community.

Peter

I think it is in fact Untamed who has a shallow ledge/table around his tank. The finished look and functionality of it is incredible.

Seeing this post near the tank made me think of his setup. Why not add a nicely finished 2"x12" rim around three sides of that post to act as a sort of bar table. A couple of tall stools and you have a nice place for a couple people to set drinks and enjoy the view. As an alternative with purpose in mind, you could build a nice shallow cabinet around it or around a few sides (floor to ceiling) to store dry goods such as food or supplies.

I am really looking forward to this thread as it progresses. You are off to an incredible start on what promises to be a very spectacular system! Keep the pics coming! I am subscribed!

Thank you for your suggestion and your generous compliment. I have a challenge with how exactly to handle the surrounding environment. I know this is still a work in progress and its a mess but you can see that I have to be very carefull with the various points of view. I have an unusual desk that I like and my wife hates that I want to position carefully. There's going to be a great deal of trial and error.....yet to come. We have a loooong way to go!!!!!

0_0_568cc8c165736fe59688372244c23052_1

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back