Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok this water thingy has to go.........

0_0_8e979cb1d11deb2f9a020f1eb31313be_1

So this is the view from outside the fish room which stood like this untill we increased the number of devices going into it. Then I had a difficult decision to make........more space for the aquaria and less space for Judy's storage OR less equipment for the fish and honour my promise not to encroach anymore on the storage space........

Stay tuned for this one....

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/i..._Web_2/0_0_6fec59e783d6949b07b078ab3a3d82c7_1

this shot has no direct bearing on the aquarium except its neat......its the west wing corridor past the powder room, wine cellar, elevator, fish food room, terminating in a three room guest suite.

0_0_b67fb87ce4f4916580adc0b43ad9c067_1

A bentley, home theater, wine cellar, three guest suites, 1350g reef etc. etc. May I ask you what you do for a living?

Very impressive build, can't wait to see the results! tagging along.

Wow, I don't know what else to say. Thank you for the detail and the "story behind the story" My guess is that this will be one of the most interesting threads I have read. I certainly respect your opinion on the research. I am a person of modest means, and my 29 gal build is all I can afford to build, and upkeep in the forseable future. To go larger would be irresponsible. So I have been researching and learning for a few years, I know it will pay off. I am in constant awe of builds like this and look forward to seeing this one come together as well as understand your theory and decision making process. Two side notes, I was in Oakville on business a few years ago, and it was in a beautiful area in a very pretty country. Secondly, congrats on the gold medal! Even though I was pulling for the US, as a long time Redwings fan it was not hard to enjoy seeing Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland enjoying their success! Looking forward to the rest of your story
Matt

Thanks Matt, and win or lose that was some of the best hockey on the planet. Every player on both sides of the game deserves our respect regardless of how they are flagged.

I know this will come up frequently but this build is not entirely about size and money, it is about attitude and dedication to this hobby. Nano tanks are and can be just as difficult and demanding to produce a quality result as a 2000 gal tank. So lets stop the person of 'modest means' as a qualifier and merge all our experience to our mutual benefit. This is an experience best served with respect and friendship............even in Oakville!!!!!

welcome to the thread,

Peter

A bentley, home theater, wine cellar, three guest suites, 1350g reef etc. etc. May I ask you what you do for a living?

Very impressive build, can't wait to see the results! tagging along.

At the moment I mix salt in very large storage vats. I don't seem to be able to find time for anything else.

Welcome aboard,

Peter

What a fantastic build! I look forward to seeing this huge, 100% display system come to life!

In a system this size, Qting your incoming live rock is well worth the effort. It'll be quite a job inspecting, scrubbing, or dipping that much incoming rock. I am not into that in the small volumes of rock I've dealt with. Dealing with unwanted hitch hikers in this big tank wouldn't any fun either. It would be much less tiresome to QT/cure the rock in batches as it arrives. You're gonna need a bunch of rock for this huge tank!

Thanks BAX, I think a ton should get me started....... It will be a solid month to six weeks before it sees the display tank.

welcome to the thread.

Peter

i am also a fan of not dipping live rock. the only problem that can occur is introduction of unwant macro organisms, ie aptasia or crabs. one way around this problem would be to buy a big unreefsafe wrasse and butterfly and let it loose on the rock for a few weeks after the cycle. otherwise i would say before you put the rock in the big tank put it somewhere you can keep an eye on it for a few weeks to see what is crawling around. with my next tank i will be doing a mix of dry rock and live rock from several locales to get a good mix of flora and fauna, but i am not putting it in the tank until a month or so of quarantine. i know all of this is alot easier said than done, but getting rid of any pests from a reef the size of yours would be a nightmare, go slow and be careful. btw i hope you have someone to do the edging on that garden, i hate trying to keep the grass out of my beds. keep up the nice work and thanks for all the posts

very good idea skanderson, this is gonna drive the forum crazy but I'm not in a rush. So the idea of waiting for stability before I add coral doesn't bother me in the least. Getting an unreefsafe wrasse and butterfly works for me. I have enough other tanks planned that will provide for a long and uneventful life 'if they do their work'........

Thanks....great idea.

Peter

QT in all your live rock and visually inspecting each rock is the only way to go. It would only take one rock with aptashia to be a REAL PITA. I am sure a lot of hobbyist would agree. It is great you have your rock with good flow and a skimmer so you can get rid of your die off before it gets into your display. I am really looking forward to this thread.

Do you listen to any pod casts? There are a few great reef pod cast sites. You can also get some good info from them. When I do any kind of travel I usually have plenty of pod cast to keep me informed and up to date.

OK but if you tell her I showed this in public you will be shown the door.

Got it?

0_0_69c977eb2bdeacde5d651b661dfdb3aa_1

I'm confused ? what is it?Btw awsome build so far, hopefully your retired, your going to wish you were after this project is done you'll never want to leave the house .LOL

I'm confused ? what is it?Btw awsome build so far, hopefully your retired, your going to wish you were after this project is done you'll never want to leave the house .LOL

not to steal peter's thunder but i believe its a koi pond with screen cover to prevent fish abduction by aliens from the great out doors/neghibors cat planet.:p

regarding pests introduced with LR you may want to consider purchasing all dry rock and seeding it yourself, the process doesn't take long, you can use a few pieces of live rock to seed

Inspirational

Inspirational

Goodluck seeing this project through to the end(as much as that is possible in this hobby). Your vision is remarkable and inspirational to anyone reading this thread. Subscribed and cheering from way down south!

QT in all your live rock and visually inspecting each rock is the only way to go. It would only take one rock with aptashia to be a REAL PITA. I am sure a lot of hobbyist would agree. It is great you have your rock with good flow and a skimmer so you can get rid of your die off before it gets into your display. I am really looking forward to this thread.

Do you listen to any pod casts? There are a few great reef pod cast sites. You can also get some good info from them. When I do any kind of travel I usually have plenty of pod cast to keep me informed and up to date.

Thanks Eric, good advice on both counts......

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back