Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very tantalizing update Peter. Speaking of wine; I hope and assume you are taking advantage of the tasting room amidst the hooplah that is going on around it (keep Mr. Wilson and the Brothers Grimm away until the bulk of the plumbing/electrical is done, but provide a few bottles during aquascaping for inspiration).

I imagine the wine will taste that much sweeter (or possibly drier?) once being enjoyed in front of a "finished" product.

No wine needed for me. I've been gluing PVC pipe in a non-ventilated crawl space under the tank for a week. When the fumes get too bad a unicorn chases me out or a leprechaun bites me.:wildone:

BTW, the plumbing under the tank is complete. Peter will post some pics soon. Probably before my spine straightens back out and the bumps on my head heal :)

Last edited:
No wine needed for me. I've been gluing PVC pipe in a non-ventilated crawl space under the tank for a week. When the fumes get too bad a unicorn chases me out or a leprechaun bites me.:wildone:

BTW, the plumbing under the tank is complete. Peter will post some pics soon. Probably before my spine straightens back out and the bumps on my head heal :)

Actually, Mr. Wilson understates the progress this week. A great deal of effort with a fair chunk of man(person) hours has gone into finishing the fish room expansion. I haven't taken too many pictures because the loyal individuals in this community have a pretty fair idea what the principle elements look like. I will be taking pictures soon as the majority of 'messy' original and spare parts piles are beginning to diminish so it should be easier to tell whats left underneath the covers so to speak. Mr. Wilson as noted above occasionally creeps out of the abyss under the tank and actually uses the fresh air time to continue retrofitting the mars bars.

On that note I will take credit for the decision to acquire them in the first place. The rational to have 27 separate tanks added to the fish room inventory came about from lurking through many of the large tank builds on this forum. All too often, the majority of support environments for large display tanks end up looking like the boiler room from alcatraz...a maze of pipes and hoses accommodating a patchwork of additional equipment and tanks not foreseen from the beginning of the journey. I decided that I would try my best to anticipate that kind of longer term requirement and in fact even have some left over for emergencies but with a better system of organization. I also wanted to try and improve the work flows for standard operating procedures as well as improve the prospects of maintaining high standards for best practices for maintenance.

My good luck or should I say our community's good luck in having Mr. Wilson join the team was on the issue of incorporating the mars bars into our fish room design was that he identified a number of shortfalls and improvements that have almost rebuilt the Mars bars to meet the objectives I laid out above. I frankly would not have discovered certain elements that were NOT conducive to a saltwater reefing environment until it was too late or worse, I may never have discovered the deficiencies without Mr. Wilson's willingness to treat my initiative with respect. I thank him for that and humbly point to this specific dynamic as being an important benefit to the culture for the folks working directly on this build. Thank you Mr. Wilson. I will be posting Pictures of the 'renewed' mars bars for everyones benefit. Mr. Wilson has improved the flow, UV sterilization, RO/DI auto water top off, chiller performance, skimmer effectiveness and better configuration management of each of the separate tanks. We (our community) will be indebted to Mr. Wilson for his discipline in getting things right, not skipping the mundane and raising the bar for best practices in this hobby.
As a side note I have to mention the incredible job Jamie and the cleaning crew(the Bros Grimm) did on making those mars bars absolutely indistinguishable from brand new product. They actually gleam and there is NOT a single hint or trace evidence of foreign chemical to be seen, felt or tasted. They have taken the same high standards they have applied to my Bentley in the auto detailing business and brought them to the fish room. Also demonstrating the ability to manage a number of activities and projects on the fly, the kids have acquired the proper acrylic egg crate panels and cut them with geometric perfection to prepare the display tank for the live rock aquasculpting process next week. Again we are all going to be the beneficiaries of those high standards down the road. I am very proud of their passion and determination to learn and grow from this project. Our society would be a better place with those kinds of attitudes as a general outlook on life from our youth. Well done guys you may take a bow!!

I have not tried to go too far in commenting on the re engineering of the flow for our tank By Mr. Wilson. It has been completely redefined and I think we are honestly on the road to a world class architecture that addresses most if not all the concerns raised earlier in the thread. The drawings need to be updated by Mr. Wilson and we need to add a considerable narrative to the presentation of this new data as I think in some ways we are breaking new ground......or at least so we hope. It is truly beyond my abilities to adequately describe all the elements of this new environment so I will defer to Mr. Wilson's time and availability to provide this valuable information to our community.

Another active member of our team has been recently instrumental in helping us with guidance and assistance in acquiring the materials for the aquasculpting phase of our project and I would like to thank him publicly here. ChingChai has been with us from the beginning and was an integral part of my decision to undertake this project in the first place. His influence on almost every part of this build cannot be overstated. I have yet to meet anyone one this forum who has been more humble, more generous with his time, unselfish in sharing his education in this hobby and absolutely the poster child for best practices in this domain............we all owe him a debt of gratitude for his support of our project to date and as we go forward. Thank You ChingChai you will always have your own key to our front door.

Finally and no less significant have been you ...........folks who have been following actively from the beginning, folks who have been silently lurking, folks who have joined us late but have had enough interest and respect to go back to the beginning and just plain get caught up in this phenomenal journey I thank you. Apart from the obvious ego gratification this kind of attention can bring a person I can honestly say that your continuing support throughout this build has been central to my positive attitude in looking always to the future. Your presence and interaction keeps this 'imagineer' dreaming about what could be better, how can we build on what we have learned and what are the ways we can strengthen the notion that this really is a community tank and most important we really can share in this experience in a material way................

There are a ton of other activities going on at this same time which I will soon be photo documenting for the textually challenged out there. Don't worry we still love you :love1:

On the subject of lights.....we still have some distance to go. However we have started to gather some preliminary data on a variety of configurations. One advantage we have is that we have almost 50 ft of linear over tank track on which to compare, trial and test in a consistent environment for research purposes. We would hope to take the phenomenal analysis that has come out of Sanjay's thread and apply it to this environment. For the moment however we are stocking up on equipment like PAR and LUX meters to begin quantifying our measurements once we are ready to begin.

So where we are is....................

Fish Room expansion and shower room floor integrity improvements finished.

Mars Bars reconfiguration just about, almost, completely finished.

Closed loop under tank plumbing completed but not tested.

closed loop system in the fish room in progress.

Filtration equipment fish room sled in progress.

Additional controllers, pumps, tanks, Ox bottles etc have been identified, ordered and in some cases acquired.

Next week, hopefully, we will be heading into the live rock aquascaping phase of our build.

Peter

Peter keeps calling the Co2 bottles o2 . As long as he doesn't put on a mask and inhale it, he can call it Nox (nitrous oxide). BTW, they are the sexiest gas bottles/tanks money can buy - polished aluminum no less :)

The biggest news item at my end of the project is the pumps will likely come in next week. We went back and forth many times on whether to add a needle wheel pump to the order for the RK2 affectionately known as "Robby Robot". In the end we decided to wait & see.

Abyzz has a new 200 watt needle wheel pump that is everything you would ever want except cheap, just like the author of this thread :) It's DC powered (brushless), silent operation, energy efficient, compact, sexy clear plastic volute (wet end cover), and 6,000 LPH air injection with lots of water along with it. It will quite literally blow the lid off of any hobby sized protein skimmer, but it will be right at home with Robby Robot. It also works with our dedicated pump controller so we can control water & air production and even have it on a scheduled work load for lighter skimming at night or wet skimming after feeding etc. Why didn't we get it again...? :)

We decided to get a baseline performance report of the RK2 as a stock, out of the, albeit giant box. The one issue with a tall skimmer is you need a tall pump to work against the head pressure. A needle wheel Hammer Head fits that bill, while a pump like the Abyzz 215 NW would have to be mounted higher up to avoid back pressure. I think I posted this earlier, but here it is again incase it didn't show up...
AbyzzNW.jpg

Peter keeps calling the Co2 bottles o2 . As long as he doesn't put on a mask and inhale it, he can call it Nox (nitrous oxide). BTW, they are the sexiest gas bottles/tanks money can buy - polished aluminum no less :)

The biggest news item at my end of the project is the pumps will likely come in next week. We went back and forth many times on whether to add a needle wheel pump to the order for the RK2 affectionately known as "Robby Robot". In the end we decided to wait & see.

Abyzz has a new 200 watt needle wheel pump that is everything you would ever want except cheap, just like the author of this thread :) It's DC powered (brushless), silent operation, energy efficient, compact, sexy clear plastic volute (wet end cover), and 6,000 LPH air injection with lots of water along with it. It will quite literally blow the lid off of any hobby sized protein skimmer, but it will be right at home with Robby Robot. It also works with our dedicated pump controller so we can control water & air production and even have it on a scheduled work load for lighter skimming at night or wet skimming after feeding etc. Why didn't we get it again...? :)

We decided to get a baseline performance report of the RK2 as a stock, out of the, albeit giant box. The one issue with a tall skimmer is you need a tall pump to work against the head pressure. A needle wheel Hammer Head fits that bill, while a pump like the Abyzz 215 NW would have to be mounted higher up to avoid back pressure. I think I posted this earlier, but here it is again incase it didn't show up...
AbyzzNW.jpg

You are such a tease.........ok,ok go get it but that means no Bentley for the weekend!!!!!!

Peter

Peter plantation acres is a small horse community in south Florida beautiful and quiet. We have our mansions we have our ranches and we have our normal sized hours. Just a real nice neighborhood in board county Florida. Thanks for the response. I can't believe you answer to every post. It's amazing.

Answering every post is not a chore. Each interaction adds a little more depth and colour to our community. It actually contributes to a sense of citizenship in my opinion. This build has a considerable evolution ahead of it and my hope is that a strong enough cadre of determined members stick around to see it through. As Mr. Wilson would be the first to tell you, I am going to need all the help I can get.

Annnnd, I can honestly say that my world has been enlarged just one tiny bit with the knowledge that Plantation Acres is a real place with real people like yourself. Seriously, welcome to this community.

Peter

It amazes me how many hobbies we all have in common. Reef tanks, A/V, vino, cars. But most of us is on a much smaller scale. I used to want to live vicariously through my single friends, but now, it's you Peter! I'm growing some frags for ya!

Also, any updates on the lighting I'm really interested in what you guys are thinking.

We are definately going to be spending a significant amount of time, energy and I suspect money on the subject of lighting. I am hoping to be considerably better informed after the MACNA in Orlando in about three weeks from now. Again I am reluctant to go too far on this subject now because we have more than adequate resources to light our way until then and to open up the subject now would be a distraction.

Peter

Back From The Future! ! !

Back From The Future! ! !

For those of you who may not be checking out ChingChai's thread on a regular basis, he has just done a lengthy photo update that is about as good as it gets in this hobby. If you want to get a glimpse of the qualitative benchmark for the future of our tank then take a peek at the most recent photo update posted by ChingChai. That's definitely where we are heading and we will be taking no prisoners.

Peter

Great info. I've set-up and used a handful of these units but have stuck to the basic functions thus far. I'm having problems getting in contact with Aqua-Digital to purchase the controller. Maybe he's on vacation.

How do you get the iPad control?.
How does it work?... not wifi?....

Thanks
Mo

You are such a tease.........ok,ok go get it but that means no Bentley for the weekend!!!!!!

Peter

Not yet. I can restrain from spending money even when it's someone else's. We won't be plugging it in for six months so the suspense will be even worse :)

To put it into perspective, the skimmer you have (RK2 25 PE) draws in 15 SCFH or 425 LPH. The Abyzz 215 draws 6,000 LPH. That's enough bubbles to make an I love Lucy episode :)

Not yet. I can restrain from spending money even when it's someone else's. We won't be plugging it in for six months so the suspense will be even worse :)

To put it into perspective, the skimmer you have (RK2 25 PE) draws in 15 SCFH or 425 LPH. The Abyzz 215 draws 6,000 LPH. That's enough bubbles to make an I love Lucy episode :)

That was a good line......vey very quick because "They fly so high, nearly reach the sky".

On another subject I think Mo thinks we have an IPad version of the controller and it appears to be keeping him up at night. I think you should be the one to tell him.........

Peter

If I understand CaptCrash2 correctly, the Profilux WLAN can only be used for communication between the main controller and the GHL remote screen (optional). You need to use a LAN to connect the controller to a wireless router which in turn talks to your Ipad, smart phone, or remote touch screen.

I'm having problems getting in contact with Aqua-Digital to purchase the controller. Maybe he's on vacation.

I read a post in the GHL support forum a few days ago, that the US distributor is on holidays, I think it was only for a week or so. I think he is Michael, and he has been very helpful (even though I am in Aus).

Thanks
Mo

Thanks
Mo

You can connect to the Web interface from an iPhone or iPAD using your home wireless network (or internet access). The profilux PIII is then connected to your home network via an ethernet cable.

The wireless interface is only useful for running the management software (Profilux Control) from a PC (No Mac or other platforms are currently supported). Once you have the device configured, the management software is not used as a daily tool, so this is generally ok.

For day to day monitoring and reporting on the tanks performance, you can use various tools. There are a couple of tools from other people/companies that provide more reporting and monitoring from a Web Page/iPhone application (MarineMad provide an iPhone app, ReefStatus provide a web application running on a PC to provide a web site to control the Profilux).
You can also configure email reporting from the device and Profilux Control.

GHL are apparently in the process of producing an iPhone app as well as a new View III screen. These are future developments and I dont know if there are ETA's on either.

Peter's needs for a controller are somewhat less what you would have with someone who travels a lot for work and would use a remote feeding device or dedicated automation.

Peter's home is already fully wired for climate control and the aquarium lighting, closed loop pumps, sump return pump, and skimmer wash down have their own controllers. He wouldn't use the storm or lunar phase features, or VFD pump controls. The DO (dissolved oxygen) and salinity modules are the only exotic features he would use and they are simply for monitoring, not control. DO does not vary much and will be used for the overflow deep sand beds (ODSB) to monitor our experiment. Due to the location we will probably use a dedicated monitor separate from the Profilux controller to do this. I have a Pinpoint Do meter and salinity meter, and Peter has his own Pinpoint salinity meter. The only down side is the Pinpoint units don't graph it for you or tell you the status on your Iphone while you're sitting in your box seats at the Hockey game.

We will continue to weigh our options and have our eyes open at MACNA for controller options. Reef Keeper Elite and Neptune Apex are still possibilities.

My current challenge is trying to convert a Walmart goldfish Mars system into a high tech coral holding system, So far we have refit the titanium chiller, added a 40 watt Aqua-UV sterilizer with lamp brush, upsized the pump to an Iwaki 70 RLT, upsized the plumbing to 1". Now we need to find LED lighting, mechanical filtration, chemical filtration, calcium reactor, and protein skimmer. I don't think we are looking at a controller, but it may get the hand-me-down if we buy one and upgrade later :)

We have very little room to work with under the Mars. The clearance is only 18" if you want to pull the cup off of the skimmer. It looks like the skimmer and calcium reactor will be external and sit on the floor beside the system.

We will wait till MACNA, but we need some cost effective stream pumps for the 10 gallon nano tanks in the Mars. $350 for a Vortech for each of the six ten gallon tanks and the 35 gallon tank won't cut it :)

Any suggestions...

Koralia Evolution 1050 gph or 1400 gph at $55-ish Cdn is the poor man's (read:my :hmm6:) solution. The Tunze Streams are another good choice - you can get them in DC/Controllable versions.

Koralia Evolution 1050 gph or 1400 gph at $55-ish Cdn is the poor man's (read:my :hmm6:) solution. The Tunze Streams are another good choice - you can get them in DC/Controllable versions.

Yes, Hydor Koralia seems to be the best pic considering how many we need. I also like the low voltage. This isn't about spending all of Peter's money. The Koralia fits the job description. The only other selling point we would look for is a better controller that will do 8 of them. The Mars system these are going into is directly beside our aquarium controller location. Maybe we can cheat and use the main display controller to run some of the Mars devices such as calcium reactor (Co2 solenoid), lighting, and pumps.

Thanks Brian, I have my 'IT' team working on the best solution for delivering HD streams to a selected audience. With a project like this HD is the only way to go even though Chingchai wants me to put 3D cameras in the fish room........I think it will be a while before we are ready for that.

Peter

Peter:

I am particularly looking forward to following your HD webcam solution...and hoping that this part of the build will be as well documented as the other components.

I just got back from a week vacation to Lake Tahoe and needed a quick and simple solution to monitor my tank without investing in a controller/web server combo that I would not likely ever use. My solution was a webcam feed simply to see that the livestock were healthy and the very basic life systems were working - lighting, pumps, and auto feeder.

I purchased a 90 USD Logitech HD webcam and tried to set up a simple webcam server...no "off the shelf" solution was to be found on the web. Pressed for time, I set up a Skype account for my reef and set the account to auto answer when I Skyped in from my personal account. While my reef Skyping is admittedly not the most elegant solution, it worked well enough to view my reef (in low def) 3 times a day from the resort's spotty WiFi to give me some peace of mind. But I do think any reef needs to be viewed in HD!

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back