Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share with the community the results of what the $500 prize for the Name The Fish contest was able to get me. Everything was purchased from Reef Central sponsor TBAquatics.

1.25 lbs Smart Reef +DI (Nuclear Grade Color Changing DI Resin)

KX Matrixx +1 Carbon Block Filter 0.6 micron

75 GPD Dow Filmtec RO Membrane

Hanna Instruments Checker Phosphate Reagants 25 tests

Hanna Instruments Checker Alkalinity Reagants 25 tests

Hanna Instruments Checker Marine Calcium Reagants 25 tests

Neptune Systems Energy Bar 8

Neptune Systems Lunar Sim with 2 LEDs

Eheim Everyday Automatic Fish Feeder

Ecotech Marine Coral Glue 75ml

PO4x4 Phosphate Remover 500ml

PO4x4 Regeneration Buffer

Reef Pearls coral food

2 x 1 Gallon Jug with Cap

1/4" Quick Connect Ball Valve

Hayward Double True Union Ball Valve 1.5"

Thanks again Peter, for making this journey more than just a forum thread and more like a family adventure. Can't wait to see pics of the new updates.

:beer:

-Russ

Hey, that $500 went way too far with the RC sponsors, Peter might have to make it $250 next time :)

Peter thanks for the update!

I do therfore have a request. You mentioned that Steve Noakes made your corals come alive with the parameter changes he made. Would you please give us some details on what was changed? Was it the calcium problems Mr Wilson mentioned earlier or was it a combination of other things as well. Your tank already looks fantastic, and to hear that Steve made it look better.....well that has peaked my curiosity.

The alk was too low and calcium too high. We ran out of buffer at the same time so the Reefcrystals really bumped the Ca up while the corals pulled the alk down.

Peter thanks for the update!

I do therfore have a request. You mentioned that Steve Noakes made your corals come alive with the parameter changes he made. Would you please give us some details on what was changed? Was it the calcium problems Mr Wilson mentioned earlier or was it a combination of other things as well. Your tank already looks fantastic, and to hear that Steve made it look better.....well that has peaked my curiosity.

Oh, well, you know, I suppose it will have to do.

It's freaking spectacular, as you well know, Peter. :) Can't wait to see the increased colouration in the corals you describe. With your newfound camera skills I'm sure we are all in for a real treat. Well worth the wait! :thumbsup:

Dave.M

Ok Dave, we need your help. Can you take the following link and update the site with this latest slide show.

First, a few comments. These are rough shots with absolutely no post processing whatsoever so there is stuff floating in the water (I had just fed the corals). Gary, if you are watching just close your eyes! I wanted to get as close to the real thing with respect to the coloration that we are experiencing. I'll leave the professional results to Gary....I have a looong way to go yet. Hopefully these will get the photo hounds some relief till I can get some better stuff for the thread.

here is the link to the slideshow and hopefully Dave when he sees this can update the link on the site.

http://albums.phanfare.com/slideshow.aspx?i=1&db=1&pw=US65VO7g&a_id=5316406

The Title and Galleries pages have been updated with links to the new slide show.

Whoa! Feather star!! HE SHOOTS. HE SCORES!!!

Dave.M

The Title and Galleries pages have been updated with links to the new slide show.

Whoa! Feather star!! HE SHOOTS. HE SCORES!!!

Dave.M

Thanks Dave..........

wow man this guy never sleeps..........but thats what it takes to be an inner cabinet member of Team NineBall ! ! !

Peter

wow peter
your sps frags have grown very nicely,they look extremly healthy
congratulations.
always enjoy your work

thanks
vic

Peter,

If those are the "crappy" photos, I can't imagine what the good ones will turn out like.

Great job. Thanks for sharing.

I just had the opportunity to update myself in all the posts back to April which was the last time I had an opportunity to read the updates. As always great stuff and fantastic pictures. I especially liked Mr. Wilson's comment about barrow rolling flow. I guess I need to move my power heads around. I'm still concerned about your killer crab, which I didn't see a post or picture of it being removed, and no mention of it either. I will let my imagination go wild and picture someone with a plastic mallet tenderizing the crab.

My real reason for posting is about the Orphek PR156 LED lights. I have been putting together a wish list for my tank that I will install after purchasing a house in June (yes I plan way in advanced). I have narrowed the tank down to a 75g or 120g both with 48" length and shallower than your tank. Taking your best practices I have been trying to downsize the equipment to best fit my configuration and I guess I never learned how to divide.

So my question is: Do you think the Orphek PR156W LEDs (120 degree optics) would work good in the shallower tanks like the 75G (48 x 18 x 20) and 120G (48 x 24 x 24)? What number of fixtures would you use on those two tanks?

Thanks,
David

I just had the opportunity to update myself in all the posts back to April which was the last time I had an opportunity to read the updates. As always great stuff and fantastic pictures. I especially liked Mr. Wilson's comment about barrow rolling flow. I guess I need to move my power heads around. I'm still concerned about your killer crab, which I didn't see a post or picture of it being removed, and no mention of it either. I will let my imagination go wild and picture someone with a plastic mallet tenderizing the crab.

My real reason for posting is about the Orphek PR156 LED lights. I have been putting together a wish list for my tank that I will install after purchasing a house in June (yes I plan way in advanced). I have narrowed the tank down to a 75g or 120g both with 48" length and shallower than your tank. Taking your best practices I have been trying to downsize the equipment to best fit my configuration and I guess I never learned how to divide.

So my question is: Do you think the Orphek PR156W LEDs (120 degree optics) would work good in the shallower tanks like the 75G (48 x 18 x 20) and 120G (48 x 24 x 24)? What number of fixtures would you use on those two tanks?

Thanks,
David

David....good to have you back and caught up!!

I really have to defer to Mr. Wilson on the proper specs for your proposed configs. How do you plan to stock it with respect to types of corals?

We did manage to capture our serial killer crab and in fact keep him alive. He is in the sump at the moment and as you are not the only one to ask about his welfare I will endeavour to take some candid shots for the thread family.

Peter

Peter,

If those are the "crappy" photos, I can't imagine what the good ones will turn out like.

Great job. Thanks for sharing.

It's easy to imagine what they would be like.........They would all have Gary Parr's name on them.

Peter

Ps. Thanks.

David....good to have you back and caught up!!

I really have to defer to Mr. Wilson on the proper specs for your proposed configs. How do you plan to stock it with respect to types of corals?

We did manage to capture our serial killer crab and in fact keep him alive. He is in the sump at the moment and as you are not the only one to ask about his welfare I will endeavour to take some candid shots for the thread family.

Peter

Looking at a mixed reef with some SPS and softies. It is the type of tank my wife saw the other day and told me I should buy a tank like that instead of buying all these parts from different places and making it myself :headwally: (if only she knew).

I could run both the 75G and 120G with T5 lighting and still keep SPS, but one high end 6 bulb T5 is a few hundred shy of the Orphek LEDs.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back