Coraline Algae

Zagzoo71

I have green (looks like coralline algae) on the back glass in my tank? Takes a razor blade and a lot of muscle to get it off. Will this turn purple? I up'ed my water changes to ever 2 weeks (was every 3 weeks). I am changing around 40gal of water, I have 300gal total in system. I also added new power heads to increase and get better flow..

I was just wondering to scrap it all off or will it turn purple?

thanks

There are all colors of coraline algae. I have green, pink and purple. My green stays green. It certainly sounds like coraline. Mine is tough to scrape off, too. I do like the algae on the rock, but not the glass, so I scrape the glass every week (20 minutes ago, actually!)

There is also black, burgundy (almost black), brown, yellow and white, and probably more. The brown stinks since it looks like hair algae. The darker colors grow the best under high intensity lights. I can barely grow purple and pink except in shadows. The white is kind of a trip, but it also does not like the bright light in my tanks.

I have pink, red, purple, and lots of green stuff... Higher flow, lower light, more purple/red. Green on the sunnier parts, except powerheads, which are pinkish mostly...

I've got purple and a little bit of pink. Mine is just starting to pick up though and hopefully it'll cover my rock in the coming months. It's just specks of purple/pink right now. Any tips for getting it to start popping up more?

just let it be and becarful what you ask for i have to scrape all the purple out of my glass ones it grows it gets cain of crazy

Why do some scrape it off the back glass? Just personal preference? I scrape the front and sides, but leave the back, i like the look of it, i guess.

Why do some scrape it off the back glass? Just personal preference? I scrape the front and sides, but leave the back, i like the look of it, i guess.

Some folks like the cleaner look of a spotless back wall, some like the texture of a encrusted back wall, and some just don't care. It's personal preference. I personaly think a clean back wall looks better, and makes the tank appear deeper, but i also like a wall of coraline, It's personal preference. I paint my tank backs black, but i rarely scrape the coraline off.

Back