Corals coming from uronema marinum

snake42490

Hey guys, a guy is quitting the hobby and giving me his corals.. The only issue is that his tank has Uronema Marinum. After knowing how nasty this disease is I don't want it touching my tank :)

Does anyone know what I could do during coral QT to get rid of this parasite?

Thanks

Uronema is a parasite; so I would treat this the same as getting corals from a tank infected with Ich. I would QT them in a fishless environment for 10+ weeks before putting them in my DT. Don't take any chances.

That's what I was thinking as well, but I read this article. There are a couple more as well that state that Uronema feeds off bacteria in the water color and usually only go after weakened fish. If that is the case going fallow wouldn't elminate this issue? I'm just thinking outloud here.. Bacteria is always present in the water even if it's in low numbers.

I wondered if I freshwater dipped the corals if that might be a guarantee?

I read a great article on uronema marinum and Metrodinazole is one of the better treatments listed for it. I don't know if it would be safe for your corals or not you would have to research it. I do know I read about using it in a reef tank as a food soak for the fish.

I have used it for uronema marinum on a wrasse in qt. Wrasse was almost dead one day out of nowhere. Used a fresh dip, 2 days in a row, followed by an antibiotic bath, and then metro to the entire qt two doses with a day in between. Wrasse survived and looks great right now, none of the other fish became infected. I keep meaning to post a detailed thread with pics but not enough time in the day...

Am I able to freshwater dip my corals? Right now I only have a frogspawn and a hammer coral from the guy. How long of a dip if I can?

Back