1. Fresh water 2 degrees warmer than tank water.
2. Ph exact. Use buffer on fresh water to match tank.
3. Use methylene blue (until water is royal blue about 3x recommended doseage) for 2 reasons:
-reduces stress in fish
4. Keep fish in water for 3-8 min and watch closely.
5. I like to put 2 fish in at a time so they keep eachother swimming.
+1, I do everything the above poster mentioned , except I do my dips for 6-8 mins because I read from Fenner that anything under 5 mins is not long enough to really eradicate. Although some fish like tangs could be more sensitive so you have to feel it out.
Maybe I am old fashioned but no fish I ever dunked in buffered fresh water ever liked it. And none lasted several minutes as stated without freaking out or laying on the bottom. Mayby 5 to 6 minutes tops.
I figure the fish is stressed enough getting him or her home.
I am sure the dip will remove parasites. But I am afraid to do it again. And when you transfer the fish back to salt you will bring AT LEAST 1 or 2 parasites anyway. Or maybe 1000. 2 salwater ich multiplies into a unseen deadly swarm in weeks. Just my opinion. Dropping 99% of a multiplying species that are living off our fish? Um not good enough for me. And the stress factor bothers me with the dips.
But this is just my opinion! I think many others have had great success doing a dip then into the tank. I prefer a quarantine tank that cost 12 bucks at walmart filled with water change from the reef.
IME and IMO, freshwater dips do little more than provide temporary relief.
The idea is that the parasites can last only a short period of time in fresh water before they burst, as their osmoregulatory systems are so primitive. The fish will be fine for a longer period, so in theory the fish comes out stressed, but unscathed, and parasite free.
However, an increased slime coat is part of most fishes natural defense mechanisms against parasites of this sort...the dark irony is that this thicker slime coat actually serves to protect many of the parasites from the fresh water. Parasites in the fishes gills are pretty effectively removed using this method, but those on the body live through it.
It can be a good tool to offer relief for a fish that is having a particularly difficult time, but is so very far from a cure.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12843290#post12843290 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stagefright13 Yep you are right. You can't kill everything with fresh water! Even a drop of the water may contain hundreds of parasites.
The slime coat on a fish resists water. As Slakker said it defeats a fresh water dip. At least at levels that the fish will survive. And how do you not transfer water with the fish????
Even the most casual observer will notice that a new fish will benefit more from good water. And less stress. Stress and weakness allows ich and other diseases to take over.
I'm not sure why it matters if the freshwater is transfered into the saltwater, the point is that the freshwater is killing the organisms, not just making them fall off. The dead parasites aren't going to be doing much damage in your tank.