Could increased skimmer size, reduce the size of water change?

CaptiveReef

LED FULL SPECTRUM REEFER
This is something I have been pondering, since it is possible to overskim a tank, would using a large skimmer make a difference in the amount of water that is swapped out in a water change.
I have been doing 5 gallons every 2 weeks, also I'm dosing trace elements, and C- Balance, Everything is growing nicely.
I built a large 4 1/2 ft tall counter current skimmer, that just rips waste out like no tomorrow.
I'm also using Hydro 2 Carbon, and Phos- Ban for my chemical filtration, I'm going to try a 1 gallon a week water change for a few months, I bet the tank will do better with new trace elements being introduced every week.

:D CaptiveReef

What type of air induction does your skimmer incorporate? Venturi, Beckett, Aspirated Needle Wheel, ect.? As for skimmer size, I myself have had a lot of experience with venturi skimmers and downdrafts. The only way you can overskim the water is by removing valuable trace elements which happens anyway. But since you dose trace elements regularly you should have no problem. Just don't overdose as this causes problems within itself like algae issues and other OD's. The bigger the skimmer the better is what I believe in. Yes it can slightly reduce your need for water changes but skimmers themselves cannot effeiciently pull out nitrates out of the water on there own. This is why water changes are so beneficial. It helps drammatically in phophate removal though. So as long as you are dosing regularly don't worry about having a large skimmer.

Marc

Type of skimmer

Type of skimmer

Marc, I use a 3 inch Limewood air diffuser in the skimmer with alot of air. The skimmer diameter is 4 inches by 4 1/2 ft tall.
With the Nitrates, I have a DSB and levels are untraceable.
I'll keep a check on the dosing.

That sounds great, I have seen a lot of air driven skimmers and as long as you use a large enough air pump you will have a great skimmer. If you notice, the air coming from the diffusers are a lot smaller than the air bubbles you see in becketts or anything else for that matter. 4 inch diameter is perfect and the 4 feet is great contact time, any pics?

Marc

Skimmer

Skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7501093#post7501093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marc
That sounds great, I have seen a lot of air driven skimmers and as long as you use a large enough air pump you will have a great skimmer. If you notice, the air coming from the diffusers are a lot smaller than the air bubbles you see in becketts or anything else for that matter. 4 inch diameter is perfect and the 4 feet is great contact time, any pics?

Marc
Here is a pic of my skimmer, it does 400 GPH and is counter current. It gets great contact time.
picssoccer007.jpg

That skimmer that probably cost you $20.00 in parts is probably more effiecient than a $600.00 beckett!!!! LOL!!!!

Skimmer

Skimmer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7505036#post7505036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marc
That skimmer that probably cost you $20.00 in parts is probably more effiecient than a $600.00 beckett!!!! LOL!!!!

LOL:lol:

You are right!! $20.00 in PVC and $25.00 for the powerhead, This design pulls out alot of waste, every month I have to wipe off 1/2 an inch of gunk from the top of the skimmer, and the skimmate is also nasty in the bucket.
I love designing my own stuff :thumbsup:

Back