Course Sponge for Return Pump?

Retiredw/Reef

Do they make a Filter Sponge for the 24Vdc Return Pumps? The Pump on the Left is a Danner, which has a Sponge Filter. Pump on the Right is Simplicity that’s going to replace the Danner.
IMG_3759.jpeg

I don't use any sponges on return pumps (I run 5). Just the cage as a strainer if it comes with one. The sponge comes with Danner pumps because they are used a lot in outdoor water features and ponds with debris in the water like leaves and small fish in with the pump.

You would have to clean it weekly to keep your pump volume from going down.

I don't use any sponges on return pumps (I run 5). Just the cage as a strainer if it comes with one. The sponge comes with Danner pumps because they are used a lot in outdoor water features and ponds with debris in the water like leaves and small fish in with the pump.

You would have to clean it weekly to keep your pump volume from going down.
I agree. I've never used sponge filters on my return pumps.

With the Danner Pumps I only cleaned the Sponges every three months, and that’s on a LifeReef Sump. I have Different Sump on another aquarium with a Refuge in the middle. I’d rather not have a Cerith Snail stop the pump. BTW I’m picking them out and putting them in the Aquarium, as they seem to be breeding there. I know they sell them in the U.K. and Europe, but don’t want the hassle of dealing with the exchange, shipping and duties.

Back