crazy question

onecrzyboi4u

i bought a 29 gal tank from walmart.. i see people mention how the silicon goes bad.. how do you tell it's gone bad in ur tank.. cos mine are real small.. had it for 2 years..

Well, the best way is to put the tank outside and fill it with water. If it holds water with no problem for 48-72 hours... I'd say you're in business!!

well it's in use now..lol.. been using it for 2 years.. i'm just scared one day it's going to bust on me.. does the silicon shrink with saltwater?

I hope not cuz everyone on RC is going to have wet floors. J/k I dont think it has effects. good luck

nudes.jpg

not the best but u get the view..

it takes soooo long for that to happen... silicon only disolves in water a tiny bit... i would imagine it takes 30-40 years or more of water changes to wear out a good seal. it also depends how the tank is braced or not.

thats why some people choose plexiglass tanks instead: less breaking, no silicone, mendable sratches inside and out. it has its andvantages for its cost.

The saltwater won't have much effect on the silicone. Most tanks have problems due to damage from moving or being stored for a period of time in a hot dry area which dries out the silicone.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9844389#post9844389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by onecrzyboi4u
nudes.jpg

not the best but u get the view..

where do you see the crack???

the line on the tank looks like a lil calium deposit

ok maybe it's just me.. and no thats not a crack one of the snails did that.. i have no idea what it is.. i was just worried cos the silicon looked awful thin.

Back