crvz's hole in the wall

I have never heard of a Powder Blue being harassed by any fish before! Looks like you have a keeper in the whitecheek, knowing that he is so robust when a lot of his species have poor track records.

That's why I bought from LA... he was eating pellet food in the acclimation bucket.

I put the powder blue and white cheek back together today, and the tables have flipped. Now that he's properly acclimated, the larger powder blue tang is being the aggressor (I also put the white cheek into the tank which the powder blue resides, a 120 gallon holding tank with live rock and, currently, the lights are off). Rather intriguing. I'm going to give them a day or two and see what happens. While interesting to watch them do their circle dance, I know it's not a sustainable behavior. If they don't cool it, I'll have to rehome one of them. That would be a hard call, though. Which would you get rid of?

You know you have to have a Franchesco replacement. If it comes down to it, the powder blue will have to go.

Is there anyone you can divide the QT tank into two parts with eggcrate to let the two see and smell each other for acclimation? Eventually they will be in a much bigger tank and I think the two of them could learn to get along.

You know you have to have a Franchesco replacement. If it comes down to it, the powder blue will have to go.

No, the foxface is of no concern. It's a whitecheek tang (sometimes called a goldrim tang) and a powder blue tang.

Is there anyone you can divide the QT tank into two parts with eggcrate to let the two see and smell each other for acclimation? Eventually they will be in a much bigger tank and I think the two of them could learn to get along.

I could try something like that. We'll see what today brings, they seemed to be less aggressive this morning. It's been interesting to see how their behavior has affected the naso tang and foxface, who have become much more docile. What I would really love to do is build a shallower, longer tank as a quarantine, but that will probably not happen for a year or two.

Alright, 4 weeks was up, so I added all the new fish to the display. Here's a FTS with just the actinic LEDs on.

2012_01_08_fts_original.jpg

I thought the change of scenery and extra space was my last chance to get the two acanthurus to coexist. Alas, they swapped back to the original demeanor... the goldrim tang was a huge aggressor. Fortunately, he was dumb enough (and aggressive enough) to go right into my nori-bated fish trap and I was able to get him out of the tank with relative ease. I'll keep him in my QT for a few weeks and then probably find him a new home. So here's the current fish list. Foxface, purple tang, chevron tang, powder blue tang, naso tang, two bicolor blennies, two diamond gobies. Everyone seems pretty content. A crappy picture of the show fish.

2012_01_08_fish.jpg

About the only thing I still want to add in terms of "large" fish would be a sargassum trigger. Maybe in a few months. I would also love to add a handful of anthias, but that will wait even longer I suspect. I need to put in a bunch more liverock before much else.

I've also found that these Tripneustes species urchins destroy lobophora. I've had it in bad ways before, but no longer in this tank.

2012_01_08_urchin.jpg

Nice scape. Can you review your fish room Chris? Would you do it the same if you were to do it again today?

Thanks Mike. I added some more rock yesterday, and I'll continue to add some over the next few weeks, but I like how the aquascape is turning out as well.

Regarding the fish room. I do like how everything has turned out. I can't think of anything I'd do differently, but I am considering upgrades. I want to install a mini-split AC unit in lieu of the portable AC system I've got right now (though that's anywhere from 3-6x cost difference if I go new). I also want to build a different stock tank. The one I have now is good (48"x30"x20"), but I built it for a different application and I have space to go quite a bit bigger. I'm thinking about building one that is 96"x30"x16", which will be easier to maintain (the lower depth will make it simpler to reach the back corners) as well as allow me to house some fish that I don't want to put in the reef (either due to compatibility issues or size).

In terms of layout, I'm very happy with the floor space (the room is about 10'x14' with 9' ceilings), I'm content with the storage I've built so far (the cabinets in particular), the sump is fine being directly underneath the main display. And the location of the electrical panels works well (about my only complaint would be that the switches are a few steps away from the hardware, so I can't kill my skimmer when doing maintenance without getting up and walking over to the panel... really a minor nit, however). And having the catwalk around the display is crucial... I wouldnt be able to do half of the maintenance I can do if I could stand on level with the tank. Having the lights on a pulley system helps at times, but I don't use it frequently at all. And the utility sink is a must.

A good question, though, Mike, especially now that we just passed a year of life in the tank. Are you interested any pictures of anything in particular?

Nice additions. Hows the rest of your system doing? Any updated fishroom/garage pics?

I've been a bit disappointed in the performance I've gotten from the Marco rocks. They still lack coralline growth and I think they're taking forever to become "live". Granted, I went without fish for months due to 2 rounds of hypo, and I've got a new shallow sand bed, so I'm somewhat starting from scratch and with a very light bioload (until recently when I added the 6 new fish). That's also why I wanted to add more liverock. In my previous tank I had about 120 lbs of which only a fraction has made it into this display. I intend to start adding some more of that in hopes that it helps. I've had only minimal stony coral growth in the last year (which I very much want to attribute to the rocks and sand), though I have noticed quite a bit more in the last 4 weeks.

I would also like to get a better skimmer eventually, but I don't see that occurring in the immediate future (maybe in 2013).

My fish are doing very well recently (after a few rounds of loss), and the coral is starting to make a turn, but it's not quite where I wanted it to be at the one year mark. Especially because I've laid the rock out in a way that coral growth would fill the tank, and I feel it looks a little hollow without the coral.

I'll try to get some pictures of the wetroom this evening.

I would love a sargassum. I have been looking at those and blue jaws for a while but I don't know if I'll ever have the gumption to put one in my cube.

Nothing in particular, Chris. Last night I went to my basement and took a hammer to the wall that encloses the furnace and water heater...no turning back now that the seal has been broken. :) The folks that built the surround wasted an 8x4 footprint due to a nearby vertical beam. I'm hoping that I might be able to squeeze in a good design and curious as to your thoughts on your room. My display is upstairs. I have a 125, a 29, a 40 long (current sump, with dividers), a 55 corner hex, 20 tall, and a handful of 10 gallons tanks at the ready. I also have some basic cabinets, some shelving, an unused sink, a 55 RO/DI rez with a 33 gal brute for mixing stacked on top, and a floor drain ready to go. I'm considering putting all of the tanks up high and putting the workbench/sink at normal level.

125...half frags, half fuge, general penalty box for bad fish
40 sump...keep it as-is
29...plumb it level with the sump to increase capacity (will be necessary when main pump shuts off)
20...top off rez
55 hex...sell it
10 gallons...use them for 2 part holders

I don't see your RO/DI or a mixing station in any of your photos (apologies if I missed it). Do you keep in another location?

Fish room pictures. When you walk in, this is what you see to the right.

2012_01_21_room1_original.jpg

And to the left

2012_01_21_room4_original.jpg

From the back of the room looking towards the door here is the right (the sink is hidden behind the tank stand a bit).

2012_01_21_room3_original.jpg

And to the left. You can see a trash can in this picture, which is my very elegant water changing "station." I would like to do something more sophisticated eventually, but this works fine for now.

2012_01_21_room2_original.jpg

And here's a shot of the tank with the new rock in place (just a few pieces center/left up front). They are about 8" from the front glass too, if that gives a scale for the tank depth. I intend to add more on the left side yet.

2012_01_20_fts_original.jpg

And these are clams.

2012_01_21_derasa.jpg

2012_01_21_squamosa.jpg

Thanks for sharing the updated pics of the fish room. I'm jealous man. I'm working on getting my fish room project going, lots of planning and consideration go into it. Great work!

I thought I remember from the first part of your thread that your fishroom is in a location near or a part of your garage? -that in conjunction with your temperature control systems must help contain the heat and humidity- keep it away from the inside of your house and attic. Did you have to install a vapor barrier at all?

I didnt bother with a vapor barrier. That room has a negative pressure most of the time (either through the AC unit blowing exhaust air out of the room, or the exhaust fan blowing air out of the room), so I wasnt worried about moisture collection. I did ensure to use a moisture barrier with anything that's on the concrete floor, though.

Back