Cyano/Bryopsis

Doma25

Hi All -

Quick question. Why do i still get cyano/bryopsis!?

My 180 reef has a very light bioload. Two toad stools and 4 fish ( 2 clowns, mimic tang and a swallow tail angel).

The water chemistry seems great:
With API test kits - Ammonia 0, Nitrites, 0, Nitrates 0.
With Salifert - Nitrates between 0-2, Phosphates looked almost 0.
I use RODI water 0 tds
Have a protein skimmer
Dual Reactor with Carbon and GFO
2 MP40s running and decent flow

what's causing this!?

also worth noting is that I have my salinity at around 1.024. Lighting is 4 xr30 radons. Salt i use is red sea coral pro.

Look at this thread,

Why do i still get cyano/bryopsis!?
Cyano can make it's own food. Bryopsis can live on nothing. Pretty much sums it up.

Bryopsis can be permanently eliminated with fluconazole (unless you reintroduce it to your tank). Google it. Cyano can appear to go away but I don't think it ever really goes away. Stuff is as old as the dinosaurs.

How old is your tank? I've found that "newer" tanks tend toward these algae outbreaks, no matter what one does. Eventually, almost like magic, the algae subsides.

Kevin

Thank you! That was a good read. Tank is 4-5 years old. What is considered enough flow ? I was thinking about adding a sea swirl to the back of the tank.

Hi All -

Quick question. Why do i still get cyano/bryopsis!?

My 180 reef has a very light bioload. Two toad stools and 4 fish ( 2 clowns, mimic tang and a swallow tail angel).

The water chemistry seems great:
With API test kits - Ammonia 0, Nitrites, 0, Nitrates 0.
With Salifert - Nitrates between 0-2, Phosphates looked almost 0.
I use RODI water 0 tds
Have a protein skimmer
Dual Reactor with Carbon and GFO
2 MP40s running and decent flow
Chatbot AI Mod APK - an application to chat and communicate between you and Chat GPT through artificial intelligence
what's causing this!?
Here are a few possibilities to consider:

Lighting: Even if your corals seem to be doing well, it's possible that the lighting in your aquarium is not optimized for them. Cyanobacteria and Bryopsis can thrive in areas with low light or poor water circulation. Consider adjusting the placement or intensity of your lights, or adding additional lighting if necessary.

Nutrient levels: Although your test results suggest low nutrient levels, it's possible that there are still enough nutrients in your aquarium to support the growth of algae. Consider testing your water using a more accurate testing method or sending a sample to a lab for analysis. You may also want to reduce feeding, increase water changes, or adjust the amount of carbon and GFO in your reactor.

Water flow: In addition to lighting, water flow is another important factor in preventing algae growth. Make sure that there is enough water flow in all areas of your aquarium, including the substrate and around your corals.

Tank maintenance: Regular tank maintenance, such as cleaning your skimmer and changing filter media, can help keep algae growth in check. Make sure you are also removing any detritus or uneaten food from the aquarium on a regular basis.

Back