d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Every time I set up a tank, it runs for 2-3 years and then I move or something.
Now we decided to do some work on our house including all new flooring.
Didn't think this would have been something we had to do when we moved in, but apparently the previous owner put down the cheapest, cruddiest wood floors known to man. :headwallblue:

Not sure what's going to happen but meeting with the contractor today to kick things off. Planning on moving the tank to one of the bedrooms for the next few months or so. Not going to be fun. :thumbdown

oof, good hardwood floors should last generations. That sucks to hear. I'd hate to have to try moving a good mature tank like that. Any ideas are for replacing yet? Love me some good hardwood floors

oof, good hardwood floors should last generations. That sucks to hear. I'd hate to have to try moving a good mature tank like that. Any ideas are for replacing yet? Love me some good hardwood floors

No one seems to put down good solid hardwoods anymore. It's all engineered, and that comes in quality from good to junk.

I wont do real wood anymore though. Too much upkeep, too expensive. Has to go in the kitchen too. Our house is one big open floor plan except for the bedrooms. And our slab isn't the driest. We've had moisture issues before. Looking at large format rectified tile or some kind of water resitant/water proof faux wood. The luxury vinyls (not what you remember about vinyl) are totally water proof, look and feel like wood and are quiet. The new laminates may still be noisier, might depend on the underlayment. I'd lean towards the vinyl but having problems finding a more natural maple color. The trend right now is grays and dark woods. So tired of the dark wood look (last two homes). And the rest of the house will be more mid-century.

Oh yea a moist slab doesn't play nice with some wood that's for sure. I definitely know what you mean about quality, I'm waiting on an order of solid hardwoods to do in my kitchen and all the stuff you find in box stores are engineered or junk looking. Had to go with a local mill to custom make it for me. Maple can have some nice color for sure, coincidentally that is the wood I am using as well! Some of those newer wood look tiles look pretty good too. I almost went with one of them since it was a kitchen I'm doing but was too tempted by that mill haha. I like the choice on lighter colors. Following trends on flooring, something that ideally will outlive trends, is tough. Quick way for the house to look dated in a few years.

Sorry Dennis. This does however allow some time for thought. Thinking of making any changes?

Sorry Dennis. This does however allow some time for thought. Thinking of making any changes?
Not really.
Only thing I thought of changing is the stand. A little larger with better access to the electronics.
Who knows. Planning on a quick move to my sons bedroom next week. Then I'll have plenty of time to figure out what to do with it later.

he he.....:)

Watchoo chuckling about, Tampa Boy? I'm trying not to have to spend more money with you. Already did that twice with this tank! :lol:

Not really.
Only thing I thought of changing is the stand. A little larger with better access to the electronics.
Who knows. Planning on a quick move to my sons bedroom next week. Then I'll have plenty of time to figure out what to do with it later.

Watchoo chuckling about, Tampa Boy? I'm trying not to have to spend more money with you. Already did that twice with this tank! :lol:

'cause after all these years and tanks.....I know you!:spin2:

It rained last night but it let up for an hour or two so we still were able to get out there.
Good thing, after spending about an hour and half on this ensemble. lol

Attachments

• IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2
Dang, that's realistic.

Any updates? I know your creative juices are flowing.

Moved the tank yesterday. Took me all day, with help from one of our local shops to do the actual move. Luckily they were able to move it without removing the contents. We just drained 99% of the water into a large vat, jacked up each side just enough to slip in some furniture sliders, then pushed it across the house and into my son's bedroom. I had to remove the door and the inside trim and due to the door not being plum, the 31.75" wide tank just barely fit through with literally a hair to spare. I had disconnected and removed the sump and fuge before they arrived and then put it all back together after they left, and moved the lighting.

6a8de91631a997c794f3a2c434839c8b.jpg
b935565d0b36bceb629e2387e78f8dbf.jpg
775ebd837636d4f3003de19b2f6f3a66.jpg
ec909d62661126577dd84cde10b3e738.jpg

You're are brave soul .... Crowbars and reef tanks are not a good combination ... Good job and happy to see the law of Murphy was not applied [emoji846]

Wow - that is really impressive to move it this way. I would have been nervous about the cabinet holding up from some lateral pressure with the weight of the tank on it but it worked out great! I wish I had a tank like that in my room when I was a kid. Nice job.

You’re are brave soul .... Crowbars and reef tanks are not a good combination ... Good job and happy to see the law of Murphy was not applied [emoji846]
LOL, yes... but in this case the tank was mostly empty. Of water anyway.

Wow - that is really impressive to move it this way. I would have been nervous about the cabinet holding up from some lateral pressure with the weight of the tank on it but it worked out great! I wish I had a tank like that in my room when I was a kid. Nice job.
Right?! Especially if you've seen how an Elos stand is constructed compared to the overbuilt things we build ourselves. Go back to the beginning of this thread to see pics of the stand. Very little of the tank is even resting on the stand. Had to remind the guys.... push the STAND... NOT THE TANK! lol

My 4 yo son is now sharing a room with his sister. His room is now the fish room and kitchen for the duration of the remodel. :crazy1:

LOL, yes... but in this case the tank was mostly empty. Of water anyway.

Right?! Especially if you've seen how an Elos stand is constructed compared to the overbuilt things we build ourselves. Go back to the beginning of this thread to see pics of the stand. Very little of the tank is even resting on the stand. Had to remind the guys.... push the STAND... NOT THE TANK! lol

My 4 yo son is now sharing a room with his sister. His room is now the fish room and kitchen for the duration of the remodel. :crazy1:

I do recall the description of the stand (and quality) and that is exactly what I was thinking about. I recently had to empty my tank at 11:30 PM due to a leak issue and I had to drain and remove everything. Luckily I had extra tanks running and was able to save everything down to the last snail but I will tell you I almost got out of the hobby right there. Glad this worked out for you!

I do recall the description of the stand (and quality) and that is exactly what I was thinking about. I recently had to empty my tank at 11:30 PM due to a leak issue and I had to drain and remove everything. Luckily I had extra tanks running and was able to save everything down to the last snail but I will tell you I almost got out of the hobby right there. Glad this worked out for you!

Ya man, i won't lie... If we had to remove everything (which I thought we were going to have to do), I was going to go through with it and get it set up in the bedroom because it HAD to be done that day so the construction could start the following day, but there was going to be some serious thought over the next few months on my future in the hobby. Don't know that I could do it a second time. :sad2:

Back