d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

This hobby requires so much patience...

Waiting for corals to grow, quarantining fish, moving entire setups though a home...

Nice job D

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ya man, i won't lie... If we had to remove everything (which I thought we were going to have to do), I was going to go through with it and get it set up in the bedroom because it HAD to be done that day so the construction could start the following day, but there was going to be some serious thought over the next few months on my future in the hobby. Don't know that I could do it a second time. :sad2:

Ironically I was going through your reboot of the 200 tank yesterday and I was thinking - "oh my god, how did he do it!". The reason I was looking at that build is that I am thinking about my own reboot now and I may go with the separate fuge. Your documentation of the lifereef fuge is better than what they show on their site. So a couple of quick questions if you don't mind:

1). what size did you go with?
2). how much flow did you push through to get that awesome tumbling action?

Thanks as always for your response.

Ya man, i won't lie... If we had to remove everything (which I thought we were going to have to do), I was going to go through with it and get it set up in the bedroom because it HAD to be done that day so the construction could start the following day, but there was going to be some serious thought over the next few months on my future in the hobby. Don't know that I could do it a second time. :sad2:

Me thinks it is in your blood.......:lolspin:

Ironically I was going through your reboot of the 200 tank yesterday and I was thinking - "oh my god, how did he do it!". The reason I was looking at that build is that I am thinking about my own reboot now and I may go with the separate fuge. Your documentation of the lifereef fuge is better than what they show on their site. So a couple of quick questions if you don't mind:

1). what size did you go with?
2). how much flow did you push through to get that awesome tumbling action?

Thanks as always for your response.

1) smaller than i wanted but my stand is too small. 10x16x18
2) I have around 700 gph going through the sump, but just a small portion of that goes through the fuge. I don't know what the number is.

1) smaller than i wanted but my stand is too small. 10x16x18
2) I have around 700 gph going through the sump, but just a small portion of that goes through the fuge. I don't know what the number is.

How big was the one attached to your old system?

:fish1: Hi, what you need to do, is leave that tank where it is, and build a new and bigger one in the old location. This way you can get new rock from Richard, and maybe buy the new GHL Mitra 7206 lights, as this will help solve your problem about having to move the tank back, and will let your son enjoy a beautiful reef tank in his room as he grows up. I wish my dad would of done that for me when I was growing up, all I had was a 20 gal. SS rimed glass tank, even though it was a very successful FOWLR tank. :fish1:

:fish1: Hi, what you need to do, is leave that tank where it is, and build a new and bigger one in the old location. This way you can get new rock from Richard, and maybe buy the new GHL Mitra 7206 lights, as this will help solve your problem about having to move the tank back, and will let your son enjoy a beautiful reef tank in his room as he grows up. I wish my dad would of done that for me when I was growing up, all I had was a 20 gal. SS rimed glass tank, even though it was a very successful FOWLR tank. :fish1:

HA! VERY FUNNY! :lolspin::lolspin::lolspin:

HA! VERY FUNNY! :lolspin::lolspin::lolspin:

:fish1: Just think about my idea a little bit, Richard would be happy because you are buying new very high quality live rock, your son will be happy, because he has a beautiful reef tank in his room, and you will be very happy, because you get to build and an design a brand new reef tank. Just think of all the fun you will have with this new project, and just tell the wife you won the system in a raffle on reef Central. :fish1:

:fish1: Just think about my idea a little bit, Richard would be happy because you are buying new very high quality live rock, your son will be happy, because he has a beautiful reef tank in his room, and you will be very happy, because you get to build and an design a brand new reef tank. Just think of all the fun you will have with this new project, and just tell the wife you won the system in a raffle on reef Central. :fish1:

Heh, ya I'm a monogamous reefer. I can't handle more than one tank at a time. :D

how full does your sump get when doing a power outage test? Im on the schedule for a CLF1 with a 120 display, just makes me a tad nervous with the capacity at 19 gallons. I know yours is a couple inches wider, so probably closer to CLF2 capacity. Just trying to gauge where im going to be from someone with firsthand experience. Cheers!

how full does your sump get when doing a power outage test? Im on the schedule for a CLF1 with a 120 display, just makes me a tad nervous with the capacity at 19 gallons. I know yours is a couple inches wider, so probably closer to CLF2 capacity. Just trying to gauge where im going to be from someone with firsthand experience. Cheers!

It gets really full. Couple inches from the top, maybe less.
The Elos drains down quite a bit.

Damn it Dennis! I had forgotten about you, and your amazing tanks. After 104 pages, I am to see you are still in the game, still enjoying the hobby, and still building masterpieces.
However, I believe you truly missed your calling. You should be doing this for a living.

Hmm - Well, it is possible to actually calculate this, and I'd highly encourage you to do the calculations first rather than test it "on the fly". Saltwater on the floor is a pain...:)

:fish1: Hi d2mini, any updates on moving the tank, did you move it back to it's old location? I would also like to see any new pics of your system if, you have any new ones available. Thanks. :fish1:

Damn it Dennis! I had forgotten about you, and your amazing tanks. After 104 pages, I am to see you are still in the game, still enjoying the hobby, and still building masterpieces.
However, I believe you truly missed your calling. You should be doing this for a living.
lol, yup still here. :)
Doing it for a living would kill the hobby for me though.

:fish1: Hi d2mini, any updates on moving the tank, did you move it back to it's old location? I would also like to see any new pics of your system if, you have any new ones available. Thanks. :fish1:

Nope, still remodeling.
Getting close though.

Before
i-56MzBmb-L.jpg

Today (the blue is a protective film over the gloss white doors)
i-Xh7QFXb-XL.jpg

Back