d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Dennis how did u like the mag18 on your previous lifereef svs30? I am going to order the 30 but I'm not sure what pump to go with. I was thinking of going with a vectraM1. My concer is noise and heat.

It was fine. I don't know if I can give you an honest comment on noise because it was in my fish room. I'm running a smaller mag on the 24" on this tank and I don't hear it. The skimmer (i guess the venturi) make some noise but not much. Hardly noticeable with the cabinet doors closed.

An M1 would be nice. I can't even tell my L1 is running. No exaggeration. Completely silent.

Dennis how did u like the mag18 on your previous lifereef svs30? I am going to order the 30 but I'm not sure what pump to go with. I was thinking of going with a vectraM1. My concer is noise and heat.

I use the mag18 on the 30 and the noise is fine. It is located in my living room under the tank in sword cabinet.

Wellllllll.... unfortunately the trip is a bust. :(

The reefing gods were against me. Two flights I tried to get on standby and denied both times.
I think the nasty weather was causing some delays and people from other missed flights getting on ahead of me. Paying customers come first I guess.

It would have been a blast but at least I had the opportunity to do it once before.

So I'm back at home. On to Plan B!
The tank will have TBS rock very soon, one way or the other. ;)

Ah, that is too bad!

Looking forward to seeing what Richard sends you. For that size tank, how much rock / sand will you be adding, and will you be supplementing it with anything dry you have on hand? Looking at "the package" chart on the TBS website, the numbers look like they are in line with the 2lbs rock / gallon, but is that what people actually seed their tanks with when using TBS?

I use the mag18 on the 30 and the noise is fine. It is located in my living room under the tank in sword cabinet.

Have a mag 18 running for years as my return pump and now, since last night, supplying a 36" mvx. Still pretty quite but the key for me is placing it on top of a silicon pad. I use one I bought I think from Walmart used to put hot pots on.

Ah, that is too bad!

Looking forward to seeing what Richard sends you. For that size tank, how much rock / sand will you be adding, and will you be supplementing it with anything dry you have on hand? Looking at "the package" chart on the TBS website, the numbers look like they are in line with the 2lbs rock / gallon, but is that what people actually seed their tanks with when using TBS?

I usually get a little less rock. Richard can customize your order.
If you have local reefing buddies, you can also pick and choose out of what he sends you and then sell the remainder. Or pre-plan and split the shipping costs.
Or stick it in your sump!

And here we go!
6 boxes on their way to Houston. :bounce2:

i-8h6d426-L.png

One of the best parts of watching your builds is the TBS live rock and the critters. Hope you put in a lot of pics in there :)

One of the best parts of watching your builds is the TBS live rock and the critters. Hope you put in a lot of pics in there :)

You betcha!
Although the majority of pics will probably have to wait till sunday/monday.
Got other plans for the weekend!

looking forward to pics from the trip and of course even more so what you got picked out. sand also? or just rock?

looking forward to pics from the trip and of course even more so what you got picked out. sand also? or just rock?

You sir, need to read before posting. :lol:
Go up a few posts. ;)

Meanwhile... if it could stop freakin raining in Houston, that would be nice.
Look what I had to do just to get some lunch!

67976430.jpg

Here's the flight path of my rock. :facepalm:

i-xKJnDZn.png

So a lot of people are curious about the whole process of ordering rock from TBS.
Here's a quick explanation with pics! :D

As you can see above, once the order is placed, Richard will send you the flight info which you can then track on the world wide interwebs.

Then when the time comes, head to your airport!
But don't freak out... you don't go to the actual airport, you go to the Southwest Cargo/Freight office.
Just drive right up and park by the loading area. Nice and quiet, no actual "airport" stuff to deal with.

i-K3Fb2KG.jpg

There will probably be a few other cars/trucks/vans picking up.
You might even see your LFS there! (no such luck today)
And the guys/gals working the desk are always super nice.
I had already checked in with them and now just waiting for them to find my boxes and bring them out.

i-W7wGD45.jpg

Snacks are available!
Sofia wasn't too thrilled with the peanuts.
She's more of an almond or cashew kind of girl.

i-ttQzzxD.jpg

Pretzels on the other hand.... score!

i-LFkBfHs.jpg

Then one of the happy SW employees bring out your boxes and you get to load them into your car.
6 boxes for us today! This is Part 1 of "The Package". All the sand and the first batch of rock.
Sofia is ready to take the goodies home!

i-zd26MVv.jpg

Here she is a few years ago picking up another shipment.

7984154285_89eaab9a39_b.jpg

Once home, look for the box that says "Open Me First".
This will be your sand (or part of your sand) and the instructions. Read carefully.
And here is a box of rock opened up. Box, then styrofoam cooler, then lots of heavy plastic bags, and inside... reef gold!

i-nqLLG6V.jpg

And finally, here's a few quick pics of some rock and a cloudy tank.

i-gkW4dvh.jpg

i-QCNv2p8.jpg

i-rqT7kcH.jpg

i-6VJ8f9j.jpg

i-JTKgxMQ.jpg

Once the tank clears up I can get some better pics and start playing with the rock layout.
As soon as the Ammonia levels stay below .25 we'll get the second batch of rock and all the fun stuff!

Back