. . . da RC Artsy-Cube project - - - Picture Intense

The heavier sand may be more prone to stay in place.

I hope so. We shall all find out tomorrow. I also sifted the sand and ran water through it to rinse out all the fines. This should help too.

Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
Scott

Very cool!

As far as the foam back, what if you drilled several holes (maybe 1/4"?) over the back panel and THEN do the foam so that some of it will go into the holes and use them as anchors after it expands?

That may work, but the back is glass and not as easy to drill small holes. I have seen others silicone small sections of eggcrate to the glass wall then foam over that. The results have been good, I was just too lazy to perform the step and had good results previously without the eggcrate. I guess I was just luck the first time.
Cheers

Thanks for the link to the modern tank thread. I will post to that when I get the tank established. Those critics are tough, but it looks like a lot of fun.
Cheers

Hey Scott, I just e-mailed you but guess I should post it here. I just put a bunch of silicone on my back wall to give the foam something to hold onto. So far I have not had any problems and it's been running since last October. How is the new sand working out for you, or haven't you got the water back in it yet?
Jeff

Hi Jeff. Yes the silicone seems to be doing the trick for me too.

The coarse sand is also working well. I have a bit of movement on the sandbed, but this will likely stop when biofims develop.

Water is starting to clear. You can see the great color of blue light from the Phoenix 14k.
CoarseSand002.jpg

Full shot with Orb above and pictures of my trip to Africa on the wall.
CoarseSand004.jpg

Full shot
CoarseSand006.jpg

Side shot
CoarseSand008.jpg

Inside
CoarseSand012.jpg

Sump
CoarseSand019.jpg

Everything looks great

I second the frogfish when you decide to get fish. I had one in a 12g AP for a while. They are extremely interesting to watch. My choice for a solitary fish.

Very interesting thread, can't wait to see what it will look like with some animals in there!

I forgot to mention, don't worry about buying a red money. Around here the cost more money based on the coloration. The frogfish will change its color to that of the tank. I paid an extra 10 or 15 only to find out that my red/pink turned into a white one. I'll post a few pics in a bit to show you the change.

Hmm, I did not realize they had the ability to color change. That is very cool. Thanks for the tip.

I wonder if it changes color based on water depth. Red is predominately a deep water predator fish color.

Anyone know?

I believe that they just change based on the environment.

Another thing, this more for the fish store. Make sure that when they pull him out of the tank that his "skin" never touches air. Apparently, when this happens, the fish gets air bubbles under its skin, causing it to look inflamed. I don't know if this always happens, but have seen it happen to a few anglers. Mine accidently touched air in the process of moving a tank, but he seemed to be okay.

Thanks Andrew. I called a store today and had them put me on the list for an angler.
Cheers,
Scott

That guy is frackin awesome. I guess I'll have to build a little nano setup for one when I get back from Germany.

Wow!!! that lil dude rocks. Did you name it?

I am really excited to have one now. No matter what color it morphs to, it will be stunning in the tank with black sand.

What do you feed and how often?

I feed mine krill for the most part. I feed once every two or three days. They are awesome fish. Never underestimate what they can eat.....

This is why

frogsfish.jpg

I thought two peppermint shrimp that were twice the size of him could easily live w/ him, at least for awhile. I was way wrong. It was less than a week and he had eaten one. The funny thing was that he was luring the second one in w/ the first still in his stomach.

Sorry for the poor pic..it was taken with my cell. Also, you can train them to eat out of your hand.

I'm going to guess that he turns completely black and spends most of the time in the sand

Back